Questions to ask

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/24/11 9:13 am - OH
You should ask if the surgery will be done laparoscopically or open, under what cir****tances the surgeon might convert it to open (if it starts as lap), and how often he has to convert to open.

You should ask about the post-op eating plan... how long will you be on liquids, how long on purees, how long until you will be cleared for all foods.  This varies WIDELY from one surgeon to anotehr.  Some people (like me) came home from the hospital on soft foods whereas other people have had to do an entire month of liquids before they can even start eating pureed foods!  You need to be mentally prepared for following whatever your surgeon's plan calls for (or use another surgeon).

Ask how often you will have labwork done post-op to check for vitamin deficiencies.  This also varies from one surgeon to another (some check every 3 months the frist year and some don't do any lab wor****il a year out).

One of the other respondents suggesting asking what foods you will be able to tolerate after surgery, but there is NO WAY your surgeon can tell you this... some people can eat everything with no problem and some people have lots of things they cannot tolerate after surgery... you just have to see how your body responds.  The surgeon is also unlikely to be able to tell you what you will end up weighing.  You can get a guideline of what a healthy weight might be for you (somewhere in the "normal" BMI range), but your body will decide when it is done losing and nothing short of starving yourself and/or living at the gym will force it lower (and KEEP it lower).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ksan32
on 8/24/11 9:20 am - AZ
I went RN-Y due to being diabetic. I had band and loss the minimum and was disappointed and switched. I am also hypertesive and have high cholesterol so I wanted to be healthy and disease free. Good luck my insurance approved my switch in 4 days.
Jeanne T.
on 8/24/11 9:28 am
Laura and Ksan, Thanks for responding,  this forum is so good.  I been to all three, the band, the sleeve and now the Rny,  And everyone couldn't be sweeter or more helpful.  I pray this is my last stop and finally find a home.  I'll keep you informed as to what is going on.

Thanks again,
Jeanne

Jeanne T.
on 8/24/11 9:30 am
Sorry Lora I spelled your name wrong, I apologize

Zeigled
on 8/24/11 10:52 am - Parkton, MD
A few more things to realize....

you may be nauseated after surgery - for a while - (me was days 3-9 post op).  I didn't realize this and it was a suprise
you may be extremely tired - I do very well with surgeries normally and I was super tired for about 3-4 weeks.
you may get a little depressed , I had 1-2 days of being depressed post op.
what would cause this surgery to move from lap to open?  In my case, the instruments got tangled and they had to open.
What over the counter supplements will be a problem... ex. melatonin for sleeping

Good Luck
HW 357 SW 341   

Jeanne T.
on 8/24/11 12:07 pm
Thanks it's nice to know some of these things before.  Hopefully once all the questions are answered we will be able to make an informed decision.  Thanks for your help.

Jeanne

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 417 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 364 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 62 views