Random Poll o' the Week: The Plague...

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/24/11 11:58 pm - Baltimore, MD
I figure the best way to get me in a better (less existential and broody) mood is to create some fun. It's worth a try, right.

Today's poll: things you now avoid like the plague. Could be types of foods, could be situations, people, whatever. What things do you avoid at all costs now that you're changing your life?

I'll answer separately.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/25/11 12:01 am - Baltimore, MD
Sadly, my mother. Our relationship is well intentioned but toxic.

Buffets...although I sometimes go, I tend to avoid them.

Now that I am out of it, peanut butter.

Photos of my before self. I look at them but I don't know. I'm not that girl anymore so as more time goes by she's as much a stranger to me as a person on the street. I pull them out every once in a blue moon but old photos don't seem to have the affect on me that they do on so many others.

SUGAR. Enough said.

The park when I am running. The one reason I tend to run on a treadmill is I don't like getting ogled as I run. I live in the hood. This may surprise you but jogging (for recreational purposes) isn't a popular pastime in the hood so I get a lot of "damn, girl! Work it out!" or "I can help stretch you when you're finished..." and the like. So I avoid the park like the plague and jog on my treadmill. Boring? Yes, but worth it in peace of mind.

Those are just a few.

jazzycatz
on 8/25/11 12:22 am - Joppa, MD
Well, anything fried.  And pizza, it's a major trigger food for me. 

There are some people I avoid like the plague now, I am sorry to say.  I have found that as an MO person I was a comfort to some other people who are overweight.  In a "at least I am not THAT big" kind of way.  Now I am a discomfort to some of those same people.  It's not that they dislike me now or did then or wish me any ill will.  I just make them uncomfortable because they see some of the changes I have had to make and question why they can't just do that "on their own".  I don't go around bragging or pointing out my changes, I keep them pretty low key, actually. I even eat lunch in my office a lot now because I know there are a few co-workers on that boat.  I know I can't own their feelings but at the same time I don't need to be uncomfortable when I eat.  I have enough food issues tyvm.

Ok, I think I may have just sucked fun right out of this thread. 

How about this?  I actually use my surgery as an excuse to avoid them like the plague but I have long hated buffets.  Why?  I learned that humans shed around 30-40,000 skin cells a minute.  Then I looked at all of those people waving their hands around the food dipping and selecting and I just see the whole thing covered with a big old layer of dead skin cells. 

But other restaurants don't bother me.  That's what really make it crazy.    I can't see it there so the problem doesn't exist apparently.  lol  And I worked in fast food as a youth so I know what goes on in some of those places. 

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/25/11 12:24 am - Baltimore, MD
You for me and buffets its a combo of things. I see so many people who ARE me back then. Then there's the food, swimming in grease. That mind/pouch connection has formed with grease so it looks like...well, not very appealing. And it's over way too quickly for me.

I took the girls last week (they begged to go). I had little pouch syndrome. In the end I was thankful for that.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

D-J
on 8/25/11 12:26 am
My number one pet peeve i am so avoiding is,,,,(drum roll pleaseee)

DRAMA......!! dan dan dan daaaaa,,

I get so tired of folks trippng on things about nothing. and for some reason (most likely my moodyness which seems to have awaken post-op) i seem to see it or hear it where ever i go these days, be it to the store, here,,or on the internet.uuggghh
AnneGG
on 8/25/11 12:28 am
Interesting (not to get all existential and broody myself), I find I'm embracing more than avoiding now. I like living so much better, no matter what I'm feeling like. Even when I'm down or frustrated or upset, it's good and interesting to be alive.

So what am I avoiding like the plague- my own negative thinking. Just ain't gonna go there as much as I humanly can. Binging- avoiding that. Avoiding exercise- avoiding that. Avoiding carbs and fats and ice cream. Avoiding slippery slopes. Avoiding self bashing and put-downs. Etc., etc., etc.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

poet_kelly
on 8/25/11 12:45 am - OH
Well, my father.  But that's not at all related to my WLS.  I haven't seen or spoken to him in 20 years.

I avoid foods with more than about 12 grams of sugar, and I avoid crackers because when I start eating them I can't stop.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

missjann
on 8/25/11 12:53 am
I avoid needless drama, too much sugar, popcorn and watermelon because I
love them and they're trigger foods, rice, pasta, crackers and most bread, crowds
and throngs of people, and "before" pictures of me.
    Jan

curvaceousdiva
on 8/25/11 12:47 am - Hyattsville, MD
I avoid:
scales
full length mirrors
BOTH cause I HATE how thin I am now...
will use vanity to check hair out though

I avoid untoasted breads I feel like HELL everytime I try it be it a biscuit, slice of bread, bagel
beef, pork, buffets
I try to avoid my former BBW community and most social functions as I DO NOT want to be reminded of how I used to look cause it depresses me that Im not there anymore

My mom as well as we're in a love/hate relationship... we love each other from afar..
sex COMPLETELY nude ALWAYS in a tshirt now as im not all that comfy with my body
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
Carol Y.
on 8/25/11 12:50 am - WY
I avoid like the plague:

1. My in laws- They always have negative things to say to me. I am an emotional eater and feel like eating everything in the house when I see them.

2.  My sister- She beleives that my weight loss is only for a short time, not life long. She brings stuff to my house that would tempt me to eat wrong.

3. The movies- The aromas at the movies kill me. I want to eat everything there. I do go once in a while but have to really phsyc myself up to go and mind my diet.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 350 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 115 views
Recent Topics