Stricture and ulcers

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 11:45 am - clyde, OH
 I had my surgery was July 18th. I have been in the hospital two times since. I have a stricture and ulcers. I had a scope and stretching about 2 weeks ago. I had another one scheduled for next Wednesday. Yesterday I started vomiting, hurting, burning. All the same symptoms. Called Dr. today and they moved my scope to Friday. 

The last time I was in the hospital my Dr. said to me that I shouldn't be in so much pain.?????? I really don't like the way he has been treating me since I started having complications. At first it was like he didn't believe me. He really didn't change after the scope. He is really treating me like I am insane. Am I insane? I can't keep anything down, I have blood in my vomit, and I am in soooo much pain. He is really starting to make me feel crazy. 

I don't know what to do. It really feels as if I am an inconvenience. 

Should this not be painful?

cajungirl
on 8/24/11 12:08 pm
Both of these will cause discomfort and pain. An edg and stretch of the stoma will relieve the stricture, sometimes if takes more than on ballom.stretched. The ulcer need to be treated ASAP, carafate and a ppi small show pretty good results. Do you know where tkebulcer is located. At the stOle line will tenure menu changes to Low the pulcer to heal.. you might Google how to relieve ulcer options to include aciditc choices and spicy foods along with best. Best of lurk.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

tiffers1971
on 8/24/11 12:16 pm - IN
ok this is totally off topic, BUT... Dana - your post is cracking me up! there is a sentence in there that looks like you misplaced your fingers on the keyboard and the words came out funny. Hee Hee!
AnneGG
on 8/24/11 12:24 pm
You stand up to that doctor of yours and let him know how you feel about how he's treating you, OK? Yes, you are in pain, and you have reason to be!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

rbb825
on 8/24/11 3:09 pm - Suffern, NY
I am not sure who is doing your endoscopy but if it is your surgeon and you are having such trouble with him - he sounds like an idiot - I would find a good Gastroenterologist.  They specialize in these problems and perform endoscopies all day long. They know how to treat ulcers, probably better than most surgeons.

After your surgery, where you put on a PPI? Nexium, protonix, prevacid or prilosec?  These are absolutely necessary for all postops to prevent ulcers and reflux.  If you weren't taking one, there is a good chance that is part of why you got the ulcer.  Did you have an endoscopy preop to test for HPylori?  This is a bacteria that causes ulcers and we should all be tested preop since it is very common and can be treated with antibiotics and a PPI.  It left untreated, will lead to ulcers and is the cause of ulcers in 75%of the cases.  During your Endoscopy 2 weeks ago, when they diagnosed the ulcer did they test you for HPylori?  IF you have an ulcer caused by HPylori and you aren't put on the proper treatment - Prevpac - 2 antibiotics and Prevacid, the ulcer will never heal and most likely just get worse causing problems like yours - bleeding and and hopefully not ulcerating the stapleline.  These are called marginal ulcers and need to be treated ASAP.

Either way, if you are vomiting blood that isn't normal and if he is ignoring you, you need to find a different doctor/surgeon.  If you still have a stricture and are having trouble eating, make sure you get in your fluids and protein - drink protein shakes.

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 11:13 pm - clyde, OH
 I was put on a ppi. I was put on prilosec. I am now on prilosec, potonix and carafate. I did not have a scope before my surgery and have not ever  been tested for Hpylori. Why would he not do this? I have ulcers completly surrounding my stricure and in my pouch. I am also having what feels like spasms in my pouch, which is making it almost impossiible to keep anything down. This doesn't seem to be concering to my surgen. 

Really don't like talking bad about people, but it feels like he is mad because I am screwing up his numbers for complications. I really think I will look for a good Gastro. 

Thanks for information. 
rbb825
on 8/25/11 1:15 pm - Suffern, NY
Wow, please find a good gastro - they will do a better job treating you than your surgeon is.  You need to know if your ulcers are caused by HPylori - if so, without the antibiotics they will never heal. I dont' mean to scare you - I just want you to get the proper treatment before things get worse.  Ulcers are serious business and if left untreated or treated improperly will only get worse.

I am really confused as to your current treatment - why would you be taking both Prilosec and protonix?  They are the same thing just a different company.  Protonix is stronger and covered by insurance and Prilosec is over the counter but they are both PPI's.

Please call the gastro tomorrow - dont' wait and tell them it is an emergency - dont let them make you wait a month for an appt.

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 11:13 pm - clyde, OH
 Thank you all for your feedback. 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 401 views