2nd day home - post op - need input please

ssgoodri
on 8/25/11 5:56 am
HI all,
Well, I had my surgery Monday afternoon, and was released on Wed morning.  I have been on pain med every 4 hrs or so since, which make me very sleepy.  In fact I sleep probably 50% of the day - today isn't AS bad, but still sleeping alot.  All the sleep is making it very hard to get all my protien in -- I probably only get about 1/2 of what I am supposed to right now.  I am thinking this might be pretty normal, but thought I would ask about your experience...

Slowly I have been feeling better, I am sure with a couple more days it will be much better..

Hope everyone else that had surgery this week is doing well!!

Thanks for the advice,
Shannon :)
We've only just begun!  

gabbyabby
on 8/25/11 6:10 am
 I had surgery on Tuesday,  I was told not not worry about my protien and to just stick to clear liquids.  And honstly I have never loved chicken broth so much.  :)

Onmyweightohappine
ss

on 8/25/11 6:13 am - Houston, TX
Congrats on your surgery.

The first few weeks or even months is an adjustment period of learning to get your proteins in. The first few weeks for sure you won't get them all in or your water intake, just do as much as you can and slowly increase as the weeks go by. It will become second nature after too long.

Just rest up and recoop for now.

Best of luck to you!
 Follow my blog at:
onmyweightohappiness.blogspot.com/                             

effyx1
on 8/25/11 6:32 am - Saginaw, MI
 I'm glad you're doing so well.  I'm a week ahead of you, and aside from incision pain and stomach gurgles where there used to be none, I feel really "normal" and have since about 4 days out.  The only time I take my pain med is right before bed because I really don't have much pain.  It seems like my back hurts when I stand and my butt hurts when sitting or laying.  I can't wait to be able to lay on my side and stomache again!

Protein was difficult until my dietician told me I could move on to pureed foods at 1 week post-op.  Now I struggle because that's all I want to eat.  Shakes have been hard.  I literally bought every single protein sample vitalady offers, and I've only found 2 palatable ones so far.

It does get better every day!  I'm sure once you're able to take less of your pain med, you'll start feeling better all around.

HW:306; Pre-op:288; SW:274; CW:131; GW:138

poet_kelly
on 8/25/11 8:39 am - OH
It's pretty  normal.  Getting half the recommended amount of protein for a few days won't hurt you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

smlanham
on 8/25/11 9:11 am
I had surgery on Monday as well.  I have a lot of discomfort on my lower left side and I also have a lot of gas in the lower stomach so I just feel bloated which is uncomfortable.  I like you am struggling to get my vitamins and protien and water in it is to hard right now.  The told me to just consentrate on liquids and my multi vitamin ..........it's crazy.  Hope that you feel better soon.
Eliza55
on 8/25/11 11:00 am - PA
I'm about two weeks out, and still can't get in all the water or protein.  Anything more than 15 grams of protein within an hour makes me full for 5-6 hours, then I can't drink anything.  I liked protein shakes before surgery.  Now all I can take is unjury (chicken soup or plain). 

Overall it's a balancing act.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

coolcatkimmie
on 8/25/11 1:18 pm - Haughton, LA
Im a week out and we are on clear liquids the first two weeks anyway, so as long as you keep hydrated, the rest will fall into place. I don't think it is a one size fits all kind of thing. Don't stress over it is the main thing, take it a day at a time and you will find products that suit you as you go along.
  Kimberly                     Faith makes things possible, not easy!

ssgoodri
on 8/26/11 3:23 am
Thanks all - I am feeling a little bit better today and seem to be able to get more down..  Not as bloated either (those noises were a total relief LOL)  My skin is still very tender on the left side, but I can get around easier today :)  YAY!!

hope everyone has a great day.
We've only just begun!  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 229 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?