Multi-Vitamin question

Bralen
on 8/25/11 8:02 am
If I take both of my multi vitamins together (Centrum Chewable) will the calcium in them negate the iron? If not is there any reason why I should not take them together?
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
Silk911
on 8/25/11 8:32 am
If you are doing both chewable multivitamins at the same time.... you might as well be throwing one of them away....

Your body can only absorb so much at one time. They need to be spaced out by 12 hours or so....

Also, not usually a good idea to take additional calcium at the same time as the multivitamin... I will usually do it like this..

7 AM Multivitamin, Vit D, Prescriptions
12 PM Calcium with food
6 PM Multivitamin
10 PM Calcium with snack

It usually works just fine for me... It's better to take the calcium without other vitamins or medicines... it can make you feel sick...

I use the liquid Calcium Citrate... the pills are too big for me to digest and they always get stuck (yikes) so the liquid works great for me.

Remember not to take the Calcium Carbonate and to take ONLY the Calcium Citrate... our bodies don't absorbe the Carbonate at all...

Melody

poet_kelly
on 8/25/11 8:35 am - OH
Why is it better not to take calcium at the same time as your multivitamin?

When you say your body can only absorb so much at one time, what are you referring to?  Like, what nutrients in that multivitamin can you only absorb so much of and need to take a whole 12 hours apart?

Also, how come you're only taking two doses of calcium?  We can only absorb about 500 mg at a time and the ASMBS says we neet 1500-2000 mg a day, so that would be three or four doses a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 8/25/11 8:33 am - OH
How much calcium is in them?  What kind of calcium is it?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Eliza55
on 8/25/11 10:49 am - PA
I take my multivitamin with my calcium for two of the doses of calcium citrate. To be clear, my multivitamins do not contain iron, so there is no potential for the iron and calcium to be competing for absorbtion.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 417 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 120 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?