Phneumonia and UTI 26 days preop!!

Godgaveus2
on 8/26/11 11:21 am - WI

Yesterday I had all my preop testing and teaching.  Today, they called and said I have Phneumonia.  I have been battling what I was told was Bronchitis for 3 wks now.  On top of that, got a UTI today!!  I was convinced it was from the Barium cause I rarely ever get UTI's, but the nurse said not.  So I am on a pretty heavy duty antibiotic for 10 days which brings me to 13 days preop.  Supposed to be off antibiotics for 2 wks prior to surgery.  The doctor said she will leave it up to the surgeon whom I see on the 12th.  I have gone through so many hoops already, I hope this doesn't delay things.  Thanks for letting me vent.

Amy

poet_kelly
on 8/26/11 11:37 am - OH
Oh, I hope the pneumonia gets cleared up.  I got pneumonia right after my RNY and I was so, so sick.  The nurses at the hospital kept saying it was the worst case of pneumonia they'd ever seen.

The next year I actually got the pneumonia vaccine even though they really just recommend it for older people or those with immune system problems.  There was probably no reason to think I'd be at risk for getting it again but it was such an awful experience I was scared.  And my insurance paid for it so I just got it.

I hope your surgery isn't delayed, but you definitely want to make sure you're healthy going in.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Godgaveus2
on 8/26/11 11:43 am - WI
Thanks Kelly, I know I have to be at 100%.  Just hopijng for the best.
Dave Chambers
on 8/26/11 12:20 pm - Mira Loma, CA
FYI, some antibiotics can be problematic post op. I had a severe cut that needed several stitches, and I got CIPRO to prevent infection. 3 days into a 10 day course of treatment, I began having severe diarrhea, and nothing in my diet had changed. I was several months post op at this point.  After 4 days of what felt like "terminal diarrhea", I stopped the CIPRO and had to take Lomotil to stop the diarrhea. My PCP said the antibiotic was killing off all good and bacteria in my lower tract, which resulted in the diarrhea.  My medical chart is marked about CIPRO causing this issue, to prevent me from getting this prescription in the future. I too developed a UTI, a few months past the CIPRO episode. I received Bactrim at that time, and had no issues. I mention this as you said your were on a "prettty heavy duty antibiotic"--just be aware of the potential for this issue as a post op. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

oblack1994
on 8/27/11 6:44 am - vancouver, WA
Hoping you feel better soon, I am 3 weeks out and got pneuomonia. BUT got it from my oldest son whom came to visit me from college and he was sick. My virus turned into pneumonia because my body was already fighting from surgery. Anyhow, yes it sucks but be in good spirits, take it easy, take all of meds and hopefully you get surgery! :)
Momma2nicknmike
on 8/27/11 9:28 am - Beavercreek, OH
 I'm sorry you're going through all of this! I hope it's all cleared up and your surgery isn't delayed and goes off without a hitch!

Lynne    

Godgaveus2
on 8/27/11 10:56 am - WI
Thanks everyone for the well wishes.  Seems as though the meds are working, so I will just keep my fingers crossed that all goes as planned.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 382 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 272 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics