Hair Loss...AGAIN!

LTewell
on 8/28/11 5:16 am - indianapolis, IN
I'm 10 months out and I started losing my hair at about 3 months.  It stopped falling out and grew back nicely.  Cause?...Surgery, not enough protien...whatever...I was not worried because it grew back.  Now it's falling out again.  Has this happened to anyone else?

poet_kelly
on 8/28/11 5:36 am - OH
Have you had labs done lately?  What was your protein level?  B12?  Vitamin A?  Iron?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LTewell
on 8/28/11 5:50 am - indianapolis, IN
I don't get any labs done until September 7th.  Do you think it's protein level?

poet_kelly
on 8/28/11 5:53 am - OH
You're ten months out and have not had any labs done yet?

It could be protein.  How much protein are you getting?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Paula F.
on 8/28/11 6:04 am - Rochester Hills , MI
Do you have a thyroid problem?  You might need an increase in meds.  Losing hair (alot of it) has been a symptom for me in the past.
Dave Chambers
on 8/28/11 6:40 am - Mira Loma, CA
Almost a year out and no labs yet?  Often, hair loss is the result of body trauma, like a surgery. Have you had any other surgeries lately? Like gallbladder removal, etc?  One woman in my support groups lost a lot of hair from her RNY surgery. It grew back. Then at 15 months she had a lower body lift. Guess what?  She lost a lot of hair again. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/28/11 6:59 am - OH
I went through the normal hair loss phase from months 4-9 post-op, then had a little bit of additional loss after my third plastic surgery at about 2 years out, and then had another major (6 month) episode of hair loss last year (3 years out).  We still have NO idea why my hair started coming out again since I had not had any surgery or illness, my vitamin and protein levels were fine, and my thyroid levels were fine.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Price S.
on 8/28/11 8:58 am - Mills River, NC
My hair loss started late and i thought I was going to dodge the bullet but oh no.  I didn't start really losing hair until about 6 months and have been losing it for a while.  It has slowed down and I have 1.5" new growth. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

LTewell
on 8/28/11 9:27 am - indianapolis, IN
Thanks for all your responses.  I thought it was odd not to have had labs yet too.  But, I trust my doctor.  I still count my protein intake and I still get 64-80 gr of protein every day.  I take all my vitamins and follow all the rules.  Maybe it's something new.  I didn't have a thyroid problem before, but it does run in the family.  I'll call my doctor tomorrow and make an appointment to go ahead with the labs.

poet_kelly
on 8/28/11 3:11 pm - OH
It's very unusual, and scary, to go the whole first year with no labs.  Most docs do them at three months, six months, nine months and one year.  Many docs then recommend once a year, but I get mine every six months, as do some other people.  I don't think once a year is enough, ever.  I will be doing mine every six months for the rest of my life.

Taking all your vitamins and following all your doctor's rules does not guarantee you don't have any deficiencies.  Many of us do develop some deficiencies, even if we start out taking everything we are supposed to take.  And to be honest, if your doc's "rules" include getting no labs done until one year post op, I'm not sure I would comfortable that following his rules was the best thing for my health.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics