How long did you take off from work?

Deanna F.
on 8/30/11 8:32 am - Fairfax, IA
Hi All

I just had my RNY last Wednesday and I have had not complication what so ever. I don't want to say it has been easy, but it has not been hard.  No pain, no nausea, no problems with liquid diet.

At my post op the doctor said since I had a desk job, and did not have to lift, I could go back to work when I felt ready. 

Even though I am doing so well, I am still tired and I know I still need lots of rest and to take it slow.

Would anyone like to share how long you stayed off work?

Samantha L.
on 8/30/11 8:38 am - Petaluma, CA
I was fortunate enough at the time to be able to take a month off paid.  I didn't need an entire month, but it was so nice to just be able to adjust to my new lifestyle. 

SweetLilyAnn
on 8/30/11 8:46 am - TX
I stayed off for 2 weeks, the third week went back to work as my energy level dictated - by Thurs and Friday  -putting in full days.. 

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

ladybugnessa
on 8/30/11 9:03 am - Owings Mills, MD
my then hubby went back to driving a school bus ten days later... i took 3 weeks off but could have gone back after 2 easily to my desk job...  maybe go back half days the first week?
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

Deanna F.
on 8/30/11 9:16 am - Fairfax, IA
Thanks,  I plan on taking at least 2 weeks off.  I hope I will be in a good routine by then.
Sara L.
on 8/30/11 9:58 am
The surgical nurse told me I should plan on two weeks, and that I would feel like I could do it after 10 days.  She said that everyone is different, and that alot depends on your physical conditioning going into surgery.  I exercise for at least 60 minutes every single day, and my job is pretty active.  I work as a photographer at a big resort property on Ka'anapali Beach so I am walking and shooting 10 minutes out of every 20 for 8 hours every day.

As long as I don't have to lift anything, they think I'll be fine returning to work after 14 days.  We shall see!  I know that I won't be driving to work at first because it's a half mile walk into the hotel from the employee lot, and there's no need to get pooped out before I even start the work day!  Luckily I can ride the little Maui bus, it will drop me off right next door to the hotel.  

I figure that if I can get my protein and water in, I will bounce right back!

I wish you luck on your first days back at work!  

Sara
hlacy
on 8/30/11 10:18 am - Chandler, AZ
My surgeon approves for three weeks off. I have three weeks at 80% pay on short term disability, then I took a few extra PTO days off at full pay so I could come back on a Monday.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Nessy2976
on 8/30/11 10:19 am - MD
 I am two weeks post op and went back in 9 days. I have a desk job and for the next few weeks can take it easy.  I can do about 6 hours and then I am tired.  I don't wanna pu**** but I hate sitting home.  I would do more things I shouldn't at home, I think.  SO go with how you feel.

"Patience is bitter, but the fruit can be sweet."                            
TrueNorthFriend
on 8/30/11 10:30 am - Canada
 I have a desk job.  I took five weeks.  My surgeon wanted me to take 2.  My personal opinion is that since this surgery is now done laparascopically that the push is on to sell it as fast return to work.  Well, if people really feel ready to return I say great!  But, your insides are rearranged and they take a LONG time to heal, and that healing takes energy.

I took five weeks.  If I had to, I could have gone to work the next day - what the heck!  I had little pain and was up and around doing laps around the hospital within hours of surgery.    I am glad I took the time on short term disability (55% of usual wage) - to really rest and learn about my new stomach and how to manage food - the learning curve was pretty steep!
cheermonkeysmom
on 8/30/11 11:02 am - Smithsburg, MD
I was actually lucky enough to have my surgeon and job allow me to take 6 weeks off. I don't think I was physically ready to go back for at least 3 weeks. I was very tired the first few weeks. Even when I went back, I was still tired a good bit of the day. I do work in an office and work at a desk. If I had to I could have gone back in about a month, but heck I was eligible for 8 weeks at 100% pay so I took what I could. My surgeon even offered to put me off another 2 weeks, she wanted to make sure that I was on the right track and doing all I was suppose to be doing before throwing me back into work, which really does complicate things early on. It was a definite adjustment. Listen to your body, you will know when you are ready. Congrats on your first steps of this journey and good luck.
 Highest Weight - 220/ Date of Surgery - 194/ Goal Weight - 125 CW 122  2nd Goal - 115

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 243 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 125 views
Recent Topics