phentermine after RNY

Kati T.
on 8/30/11 11:34 pm - Charlotte, MI
Has anyone taken Phentermine after having RNY?

I'm almost two years out and I went to my doctor, freaked out because I've gained 5 pounds and I feel like I want to eat ALL the time.  I am super scared to gained weight back considering I never got to goal in the first place so he put me on phentermine to restart the weight loss.  He's my family doctor, not a weight loss doctor so I was just curious if this is safe?  Does anyone have any experience with this?

shellbell75
on 8/30/11 11:43 pm
I don't know a whole lot. I do know that Phentermine is basically speed. You do have to be monitored closely while taking it. Everyone I know that has taken it has gained their weight back.

5 lbs is still a manageable gain. Have you tried going back to basics? Protein first, 64 oz of water?
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

curvaceousdiva
on 8/30/11 11:43 pm - Hyattsville, MD
Im not sure of the physiological stuff BUT I do know before it was taken off the market pehn-phen helped me TREMENDOUSLY... that's the only thing that had worked... plus my twin who's a pharmacist got it for me.  POST OP.. not sure how it would interact with the pouch BUT I can endorse it for working though
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
Kim H.
on 8/30/11 11:48 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I happen to think it's a bad idea. It's potentially addictive, should only be taken for a month or so max, and has lots of side effects. I would say call a therapist and try to start learning some new ways to deal with your hunger/food issues rather than using a medication for a short-term fix. The issues you have won't change with this medication; it will only mask them. I know how hard the struggle is and the fear of regaining is real. But you need a solution that will help you maintain for life. I just don't see this as being the solution. Either way, good luck and take care of yourself.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Shelly D.
on 8/31/11 12:33 am - Grandview, TX
It made me SOOO constipated. So be careful with that, but I think it could help but I would only do it for a short period of time.

RYN-8/10/2011
HW-320
CW-191
GW-150

T V.
on 8/31/11 12:35 am
I don't know how it works after a person has RNY WLS. I used it a few years back. Yes, it does work and it made me lose weight, BUT it will really mess with your head. Research on the web, irritability, anger, forgetting things. Everyone around me when I took it thought I was a B****. Not to mention what it may do to your heart.
Kati T.
on 8/31/11 1:12 am - Charlotte, MI
Thanks for all the advice and support.  I'm really just wondering if it's safe after surgery.  I weighed 172 monday morning when I took my first pill and I was at 164 this morning. whoa!

nfarris79
on 8/31/11 1:59 am - Germantown, MD
 I would contact your surgeon about this. 5lbs is not a massive regain, so you might want to try going back to basics or anything else your surgeon and/or NUT can recommend before doing major interventions.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

glzgowlass
on 8/31/11 2:40 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I wouldn't do it.  I took phentermine years ago and it was fine for a while, but after a few months it stops working.  Like your brain finds a way to work around it.  I ended up eating more in the long term and wished I'd never gone near it.

It also really raised my blood pressure.  I say find another way to deal with your appetite

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

mandajolyn
on 8/31/11 2:49 am - Tallahassee, FL
The thing with drugs like that is it may help but once you stop taking it you stop losing and regain! I wouldn't recommend taking it post op! You might want to try going back to basics first, log what you're eating, your fluids, protein and activity! 5lbs is not drastic enough of a gain to resort to taking phentermine! Talk to your surgeon as anything you take for weight loss should be oked by them!
It's not a safe drug for anyone!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 405 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?