Eat to much?

Magan M.
on 8/31/11 9:19 am
 I just had my surgery a week and a half ago.  I'm still on a full liquid diet.  I was just able to drink 4 oz of soup without any issues and could probably have more but I stopped.  From what I understand, the pouch should only be 1 oz.  Should I be able to eat that much?

Lisa R.
on 8/31/11 9:22 am - CA
2 things.

First, you will not feel a full feeling as the nerves in your stomach were cut in surgery.  So be careful

Second, liquid goes right through the pouch, so sip slow, but 4 ounces over 15 to 20 minutes should be fine.  Just go slow, your body is healing. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
ShrinkingJoe
on 8/31/11 9:22 am, edited 8/31/11 9:22 am
That is normal.  There is no valve at the outlet of the pouch; just an opening into the lower intestine.  Liquid should pass right through.  If you put dense food in there it will stop for a while before being liquefied and then moving through.  If you put food in and then drink, the liquid could back up because it has no where to go, hence the admonition to not eat and drink at the same time.

Obviously, follow your surgeon's plan (as you are) -- the liquid diet is the right thing now as things are still healing.

poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 9:23 am - OH
Liquids do not stay in the pouch because there is an opening, called the stoma, at the bottom where the pouch connects to the small intestine.  It's sort of like pouring liquid into a funnel.  It drains right out.

Your pouch is going to be able to hold more than one ounce of food, though.  Most people can eat two to four ounces in the beginning and at least eight ounces by one year post op.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Magan M.
on 8/31/11 9:32 am
 Ok good.  I feel better now.  Thanks to all 3 of you for your help.
losing-jennifer
on 8/31/11 10:11 am
That's why at 3 months out I can only eat 1/4 cup or 2-2.5 ounces of chicken/fish but I can eat a whole cup of yogurt. Slides right through. But its a good thing since a cup of greek yogurt is the same protein as the shakes I got sick of.
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

Stephanie M.
on 8/31/11 11:04 am - Los Angeles, CA
 This is very helpful! Thanks for posting this, as I have been wondering the same thing. I have a question for myself though, if someone wouldn't mind answering? My surgeon approved me for 1 cup at two months. I am able to eat this much of protein and veggies. Is that normal or is that a problem?

YankeeRose
on 8/31/11 12:47 pm - Meadville, PA
Stephanie, my surgeon told me the same thing - 1 cup and 1000 cal a day. Some days I can eat that much and some days I can't. Just depends on my pouch and to some extent what I'm eating.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 1:09 pm - OH
How much people can eat at different times during the first year seems to really vary.  A lot of people say they can't eat that much at two months but some say they can.  If your surgeon says it's OK, then I think it's OK.  Just measure your food so you aren't getting more than one cup.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 405 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404