1 week 1 day to go Surgery 9/9 ????'s

Renee2be
on 8/31/11 3:44 pm - NC
Hi Guys!!!!

I am a little over a week to go til surgery.  I have lost 9lbs on the liver shrinking diet,  had to add an extra protein shake and small meal a day due to sugar dropping (Bariatric center approved). 

I have been on this portion about 2 weeks with another week to go.  Does this sound like enough weight loss? Dont want to get to the day and not be able to have my RNY because of a big old liver..........

Also, I had a consult yesterday and my surgery center doesnt require you to be on liquids the day before, but also said that the "emptier" you are the better........should i try to do liquids that day, will it make things easier?

What will week one be like, i know G2, water, clear broth and that kind of stuff.........will i be hungry?  or will i have to eat by the clock?

How long were you actually "down" after leaving the hospital............i know not to go home and just lay must walk so many times a day......

What kind of weight loss can i expect the 1st month?  What is the average?

Oddly enough i am excited and not scared yet,  I had originally went through everything for Lap-Band and then changed surgery center 's due to confilct with hospital, after discussions with Dr Walsh and my bariatric coordinator, i realized that the RNY was actually the tool i needed!!! Was not 100% comfortable with the Band, but knew i needed to do something........now i have complete peace about my surgery decision!!!! so glad I found Dr. Walsh and Regional Bariatric Center in High Point.
kipz303
on 8/31/11 5:12 pm
Don't worry, as long as you're not eating fatty foods you'll be fine. I was supposed to go on the liver shrinking diet for 2 weeks as well but they called me after only FOUR HOURS of it and said...can you go ahead and do your night before stuff tonight because if so we will squeeze you in tomorrow... so I had NO diet ..I had done my "goodbye food" thing the night before that..so I think you'll be fine. It's not the number of pounds you lose its the healthy eating that will shrink your liver.

Everyone is different but for most who have RNY you have to force yourself to eat and drink..it sounds odd but you probly wont even want your broth...mine sat there because I was scared to eat too much. (which was goofy but still) I was "down" for maybe 2 days at most...everyone had to tell me to keep still and rest because I was wanting to do all kinds of stuff..I had large amounts of energy to start off with...now I'm lethargic as can be at a year out but that's a different issue lol.

The amount of weight lost in the first month is totally different for everyone. Personally, I lost 30 in the first month. Some lose more some lose less..some gain right out of the hospital and freak out but they pump you full of things in the hospital so don't expect to be lighter right off the bat.  

The main thing I had problems with was GAS..no not the kind that comes out your rear and clears a room...the kind that rolls through your chest and shoulders..making you think you're having a heart attack LOL...they pump you full of gas for the LAP RNY so be prepared for that part.

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 11:28 pm - OH
Unless they specifically told you that you have to lose a certain amount of weight, don't worry about it.  You've already lost nine pounds and I bet you'll lose more by surgery day.  Your liver should be just fine - your surgeon has done this operation many, many times and if he was concerned your liver wouldn't shrink enough, he would have had you do a longer pre op diet.

Usually it's best to do nothing by mouth at all for about 12 hours before surgery.  Since they are operating on your stomach, you want it to be empty.  Plus, anytime they put you under general anesthesia, they prefer your tummy to be empty because there is a slight risk of throwing up under anesthesia and if that happens, you could aspirate (breathe in some of the vomit, which is of course very bad for your lungs).

Everyone has different experiences, but chances are you won't feel hungry the first week.  Some people do, though.  Chances are you'll feel full on a few sips of liquid and if you take more than a sip at a time you'll probably feel uncomfortable.  It will probably be a challenge to get all your fluids in.  You may feel nauseous - if so, ask your doc for a prescription for that.

I felt better, not all the way better but better, after about a week.  All the discomfort from my incisions was gone by two weeks out.  I was sleepy a lot the first week, but didn't have a hard time getting up and walking a little several times a day.  Walking wasn't real painful, it was mostly getting up and down that hurt.

It's really hard to say how much weight loss to expect.  When you first get home from the hospital, you'll probably weigh more than you did going in because of all the fluids they pump into you through your IV.  I'd say anything from ten pounds to 20 pounds or more is "normal" for the first month.  You can probably save yourself a lot of stress by not getting on the scale very often.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 11:29 pm - RI

Good question!!! I was thinking the same thing.

I have lost a total of 10 pounds and I am on day 9 of my 14 day liquid diet.

I was also wondering if that was enough? ugh.

Renee2be
on 9/3/11 8:33 pm - NC
I know!!!!!!!!!!  I am so excited!!!!!!!!1  IT's like the day before Christmas!!!!!!!!! I have struggled with this so long its unreal!!!!!!!11  I am so ready to get on with my new life!!!!!!!!!  ITs going to be work but hey what isnt!!!!!

We are surgery date twins........GOod luck to you!!!  I'm going to send a friend request so we can keep in touch through this journey!!!!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics