Lactose Intolerant - Soymilk as an exchange??

Holly O.
on 9/4/11 1:31 am - FL
I am almost 3 months out..........shy  a week.  I think I have an intolerance to skim milk............2 hours at a time with diaharra was my first clue.  Here is my question:  Will soymilk give me the same problem??
   Holly                                      
poet_kelly
on 9/4/11 1:47 am - OH
If the problem is due to lactose intolerance, no.  Soy milk has no lactose.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Holly O.
on 9/4/11 1:52 am - FL
Great!!  I didn't like the side effect of the milk products...........simply gross!!!
   Holly                                      
Hillery82211
on 9/4/11 2:00 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
Try Lactaid.  I find that I personally don't like the taste of Soy milk, but can't handle the lactose of regular milk.  Lactaid FF milk works WONDERS....
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
YankeeRose
on 9/4/11 3:02 am - Meadville, PA
That's what I use too - Lactaid FF milk. Works well for me too.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

seashell6417
on 9/4/11 4:26 am - Gaylord, MN
You can also pick up Lactaid in tablet or chewable form and just take one before you drink regular milk or consume dairy products if they also bother you.  I had the same problem for the first year to year and a half but now I am fine when I drink a glass of milk.  Weird.
Tami

krislbt41
on 9/4/11 9:48 am - Center Line, MI
I am lactose intolerant but I've been that way before my surgery and only use Silk Soy Milk (Vanilla flavor) in my protein shakes, cereal, oatmeal, recipes that call for milk. My uncle swears by their almond milk, I'm going to buy a carton of that Friday.

rocky513
on 9/4/11 10:09 am - WI
I'm lactose intolerant too.  I have been using Silk Soy milk light since I was a few weeks out.  I feel SOOOO much better.  Dairy milk made me so sick with stomach cramps.  Make sure you buy the SIlk Soy Milk from the cooler dairy case...it tastes  MUCH better than the Silk that is on the shelf.  

Also make sure your protein powder is a lactose free whey isolate. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

sweetpotato1959
on 9/4/11 11:18 am
 If you lke chocolate  milk...I recommend the soy chocolate highly.
       I don't care for the regular soy, but the  lactaid milk is lactose free.Wal mart has a comparable brand and I can't tell  the great value from the name brand...  I use the regular, because I only tolerate a 4 ounce  serving a day, and I use it for creamer in my coffee., but  the low fat and fat free are definitely options as well.
aseg21
on 9/5/11 2:40 am - Miami, FL
My husband is completely lactose intolerant and can actually drink raw milk. Almond milk is his second best choice and coconut milk his last option. He's not a soy fan at all. The coconut milk is pretty bland though, I have to be honest.

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views