how long?

vmeyerw
on 9/4/11 9:01 am - belfield, ND
how long did it take to be able to fell like cooking for your family again? or doing anything for that matter  im am 3 and halfs weeks post op from having open rny and pnemonia on top of that . im still on antibotics i am breathing better . but have no energy , im still sore i cant sleep on my side yet , get nauseauos alot too .  so how long did it take for anyone else to feel normal again?
lilbear412
on 9/4/11 9:24 am, edited 9/4/11 11:53 am - MN
 YEAH someone from North Dakota.  My husband was in Belfield just the other day.  I am originally from Grenora/Williston// Minot.  Anyways i am sorry you got pnuemonia.  Did they have you use a spirometer at all?  I went home with one and orders to used it like 10 times a day.  I am still using it but only a few times a day.  I am 10 days post op now and am just starting to come around.  I just slept on my right side last night for the first time.  I am still sore right by my sternum a little bit but mostly i am feeling about 90% right now.  I don't have a lot of energy yet but have been trying to get up moving every day somehow.  I have just started cooking for my husband and daughter in the past few days only because i feel sorry for them.  lol. not really but at least i am trying to help them out so they don't kill themselves on pizza.  I was nauseas today for a bit after i drank a glass of milk but i really believe i drank it to fast...again.  I can't wait to eat real food again and more of it so i can start getting my protein in that way instead of relying on milk and carnation instant breakfast.  I think at probably 3 weeks or so you start feeling somewhat normal...i am guess a few months to feel 100%.   take care and write to me anytime.  

Sorry i didn't realize you had open rny.  Yeah...what someone said about letting others help you out is a great idea.  If you can't do that, buy easy foods like already made lasagna, tv like dinners, lunchables for the kids.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

poet_kelly
on 9/4/11 9:25 am - OH
I had a very severe case of pneumonia right after my surgery.  I hate to say this, but I didn't feel close to  normal again for about three months.  I was really, really sick though. 

But you had open surgery, which has a longer recovery period.  You need to concentrate on resting, walking a little, and getting in your protein and fluids.  Let someone else do the cooking.  And call your doc if you need meds for the nausea.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Proudtobaloser
on 9/4/11 10:20 am - Fayetteville, NC
you had open RNY and are wondering when you can get back to cooking for your family? awww hunny take the time to heal and relax. BUT also remember to get your walks in.

I had laproscopic and I still have issues sleeping on my side. My left side is the worst.

You need to do for you, let others do for themselves. And if there are children in the home then let another adult do the caretaking for once.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

nfarris79
on 9/4/11 11:00 am - Germantown, MD
 I had lap and had no energy until week 5. Using the incentive spirometer, taking in liquids, and showering were about all I could do for the first 2 weeks. Feeling "normal" is a constant evaluation in this process. It'll get better, just give yourself time & patience!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views