Senior citizen, just thinking

Sandra K.
on 9/6/11 1:33 pm
   I look at the pictures on here and don't see very many advanced senior citizens.  Surely I'm not the only 70 year old who has had the surgery.  I'm curious to know how other seniors have done. 
   I'm--- okay but am not entirely pleased with my progress, or more to the point, with my inability to be consistantly faithful to the program.  I can quote page and verse on what I SHOULD do, but knowing it and doing it don't always coincide.  
   Also, I was fat for so long my skin is really loose and crepe-like.  I know part of that is because of my age, but mercy goodness, it's ugly!  
   I lack 13#'s reaching the goal my doctor set, but would really like to lose another 20 after that, but my goodness, just think what I'd look like then!  :(
   I know I shouldn't focus on the superficiality of looks but can any of us honestly say it doesn't make a difference?  And no, I wouldn't trade places with my obese self. 
   Just wondering.
AnneGG
on 9/6/11 1:49 pm
I'm now 60, and I had surgery 14 months ago. No, you don't want to look at my skin closely but I feel great and look pretty good in a size 4. I'm pretty strict with myself with my regimen, and run 5 miles a day. I'm a cancer survivor, which got me to do the surgery for my health. My mother died at 66, and I want to live long past that!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

dasie
on 9/6/11 8:47 pm
You are an inspiration.  I have always wanted to be a runner.  I cannot figure out what my deal is.  I just feel like a ton of bricks when I try to  run.  I walk a lot and will try to walk-run, walk-run.  How did you work up to 5 miles per day?  Do you have any advice?

dasie
on 9/6/11 8:51 pm
I posted a reply to you, but it ended up in the wrong place....I think.  I'll try again.

Do you have any advice on how you worked up to running 5 miles.  I have always wanted to be a runner.  When I try, I feel like a ton of bricks.  I walk-run, walk-run, but only for short periods.  I can walk long distances, but running seems to be more difficult for me.  It must be a mental issue.  How did you do it; you are an inspiration!

AnneGG
on 9/7/11 9:09 am
Hi, dasie,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you- I had to wait to use my friend's computer because my iPad won't work on reply.

Thanks for the acknowlegement! I worked up to 5 miles very very gradually, and I'm not doing more than that! When I started, my teeth felt like they were knocking out of my head and my head felt like it was going to fly off my neck.

What matters is the moving!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

dasie
on 9/7/11 7:44 pm
Thank you...I think I need to push myself harder.  But you are right - what matters is that we are moving our bodies.

I love my iPad too.  I wish OH would develop an app for it.

justjenna
on 9/6/11 2:06 pm - ID
Sandra, I am 66 and had surgery 5 weeks ago.  My goodness, it sounds like you are really doing great!! My surgeon indicated I might not lose as much "at my age".  So, being within 13 pounds of goal is a miracle in my book.

Yea, I worry about the loose skin and bat wings, but mostly I want to be able to DO things.  I'vesaid "no" to too many things for too long.

Price S.
on 9/6/11 9:37 pm - Mills River, NC
I was 61 when I had surgery, almost a year ago.  I have lost 95% of my excess weight and am in Normal BMI.  I have a ton of energy and have come off almost all my meds. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

I look great in my size 6 clothes.  naked, pretty scarey but hubby still loves me and thinks I'm sexy.  And after 40 yrs together, that is all that really counts.  I just don't wear anything that is shorter than my knees or sleeves that are shorter than my elbow except around the farm.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

ladybugnessa
on 9/6/11 9:59 pm - Owings Mills, MD
I had the surgery at 49... not an advanced age but the skin was so bad I had to have plastic surgery and that helped me get to goal.  WE CAN'T GET TO GOAL IF WE HAVE POUNDS OF EXTRA SKIN... I am only 5'2" so percentage wise it was a lot but they took 5 pounds of skin from me for my first plastic surgery.... I probably have another 3 pounds of skin to go for the second.

IF you are 20 pounds from goal and have 15 pounds of skin (10-15 is average for average height folks) you can't get to goal....

Depending on how far out you are and how long your weight has been stable I would recommend a plastic surgery consult to get an idea of if you need to lose more weight or not.  I THOUGHT i did and I ended up NOT needing to lose another pound.  I had two different doctors tell me that I had no more weight to lose and it was true....
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

tribefan10
on 9/6/11 10:49 pm - OH
 I am 65 and waiting for a surgery date, easier on the heart to carry around excess skin then excess fat! I can't wait to have my surgery! I will deal with the excess skin issue then, Good luck to you.

HW 421/ CW 258/ SW 363/ GW 220

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 426 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 258 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views