Ketosis - Tell Me About It

wynter57
on 9/11/11 6:47 am - Panama City, FL
Ok, from my understanding it is a GOOD thing if we are in Ketosis.

I bought some Ketosis Sticks yesterday and checked my urine for Ketones today for the first time since surgery. It showed I had a LARGE amount of Ketosis, the next to the highest amount on the color chart on the bottle.

My question is this. When I did some research about this online, they make it seem like it's bad for your health to be in Ketosis, but from my understanding that is OUR goal after surgery, due to eating a high protein - low carb diet.

How long are we to remain in Ketosis? Should it be just while we are losing weight or for the rest of our lives?

I was on Atkins a couple of years ago and when I used the Ketosis Sticks back then, I never got much more than a Trace of Ketones on the stick and I was doing high protein and low carb, hummm.

Thanks for any insight!
Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

Lisa R.
on 9/11/11 6:51 am - CA
Good question and I am excited to see your answers.  

What I THINK and this is just my opinion, being in Ketosis is like starvation, so you will lose weight, however, this type of WL does not produce long term results.  As soon as carbs are introduced back into the diet the body will store fat at a faster rate to prepare for another round of Ketosis.  

Again, I could be totally wrong, but that has always been my understanding.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Eliza55
on 9/11/11 7:58 am - PA
I don't have specific answers to your questions - I haven't used the urine sticks, but when I'm in ketosis, I get a funny taste in my mouth.  I used to get it all the time when I was on Atkins.  Also when I started the liquid diet prior to surgery.  Since a week or two post surgery, it's been a lot less.  I have been gettin in some carbs via beans and dried peas, or maybe my metabolism has changed.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 8:01 am - FL
Someone recently posted the following link on this very subject.

http://www.micaweb.com/bypassfat/ketosis.html
Rebecca H.
on 9/11/11 11:10 am
 Brian... thanks for sharing.  This information is very helpful!   

MrsZoe
on 9/11/11 9:38 pm
thanks yet another tool !

D-J
on 9/11/11 11:26 am
thanks for the post,,very informative,,
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 771 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 381 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?