Need Support

Terrilane
on 9/12/11 1:35 am - TN
 Ok I am 4 days out of surgery and I don't know if I would do it again if I could take it back.  I am in pain and all I can think about is drinking lots of water or anything I can get my hands on.  But, I can't do that.  I asked my husband on the little over 2 hour drive (What in the H*** have I done).  And I do not use words like that.  I think I was crazy. 
Please tell me this to will pass.  Am I alone?   

I hate this drain tub.  It is just plain gross.
Michelle8885
on 9/12/11 1:51 am
I haven't had surgery yet, but this is something i'm worried about as well. how bad does it hurt? and what is a drain tub?
sumueulu
on 9/12/11 2:07 am
YOURE NORMAL!!!
I acutally thought that for the first 1-3 months, and I didnt experience any complications. No sugar coating here...you're about to go thru a rollercoaster of emotions. Anger, sadness, regret, etc. But it does level out. At 6 months post op at 107lbs gone, down to a loose size 20 from a 28, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
savedbygrace10
on 9/12/11 2:10 am - Byron, GA

This too shall pass...I was miserable for about the first 2 weeks, then gradually started feeling better.  I cried daily and also asked myself what had I done.  NOW I am ecstatic and so very glad I did it.  It literally is the best thing I have ever done for myself.  Hang in there and get lots of rest.  That was my major downfall because I did not take advantage of the rest that I could have had.  I thought I had to prove myself and be superwoman.  DO NOT DO THAT - REST!!!  But get in your walking and sipping. 

Dan OBrien
on 9/12/11 2:45 am - FL
I was still in ICU 4 days out of surgery, NG tube down my throat because I could not stop throwing up bile.  Got fluid under my lung that made it hard to breathe, was on 15L of oxygen at first.  I don't know how many times I said in the hospital, "What the hell did I do to myself?" 

It all changes - especially after you're feeling a little more with it, and have seen the first bit of weight coming off.

With all the issues I had, I WOULD DEFINITELY DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN.  Never been happier - I like me better now, just because I have a different outlook, and my family loves the new me and change in attitude.

For all you pre-ops questioning - all the people I know that have had the surgery had zero issues and were successful losing the weight and keeping it off.  But all of them told me the same thing - they questioned why they did it at first, and now would do it again.  It's natural, you have pain, as it is really major surgery.  But it gets better, a whole lot better!
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

wynter57
on 9/12/11 2:48 am - Panama City, FL
I think we have ALL or at least most of us have had the buyers remorse feelings. I have had this several times. Surgery is scary and it's not like buying something that you can take back to the store. Plus our hormones are out of whack when we are losing weight so quickly.

Take care!
Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

poet_kelly
on 9/12/11 2:53 am - OH
I'm sure right now you don't know if you would do it again if you could take it back.  So far you've had all the pain and icky feelings but haven't seen the weight loss and other benefits yet.

Wanna bet that a year from now you'll be saying how glad you are you did it and would gladly do it again?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AnneGG
on 9/12/11 2:56 am
I was sobbing several times to my husband about having broken my body and why did I do it.

Then I realized that one of the good things about surgery is that it gives you no choice but to plow ahead. Nope, can't backtrack!

Hang tough! It will get better, I promise!

Now I am so very grateful for my RNY. It keeps me on the right track.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

KELLY R.
on 9/12/11 3:01 am - PA
RNY on 04/04/12

I haven't had surgery yet but I too have had the fear of regret but so many people I know or have talked to say the first 2 weeks or so are the worst as you are healing. I hate pain and am petrified of this stage but I just keep thinking that if women can give birth without any pain meds then I will survive this just fine.  I'll just have to remind myself that it's only temporary.  The one benefit I find I'll have is that I'll be on temporary disability for 6 weeks and won't have to worry about going to work, plus I'm trying to get scheduled for December because my hubby's on vacation for a week and he can help me take care of things.

Good luck to you.

Peace & Blessings... Kelly                                             

HW 292 / CW 191 / GW 130

mommustlive
on 9/12/11 8:35 am - VA
This will pass!  I was in a great deal of pain at this point.  I slept on the couch so that I would stay on my side a stuffed a down sleeping bag around my body as a cushion.  This when I could lay down.  I spent a great deal of the time sleeping in a chair.  I lived on frozen sugar free pops.  That was the only way I could get liquids in.  I then found that if I froze other drinks to the slush point I could sip those too.  Take your pain meds to keep ahead of the pain and just wait it out.  It will get better.  Since then I have also had my gallbladder out which was a piece of cake compared to this.  Good luck, Lisa
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 413 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 13 replies · 55 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?