brown rice

yogibear
on 9/12/11 2:12 pm - Fountain Hills, AZ
Shortly after the start of the year I will be starting two journies.  The first one is to get beck on track to losing weight again as a person who has done the roux - n - y.  i did do some self reflect and journal keeping this year to help and determine where i was failing.  My biggest weakness is bread, tortillas and things similar in nature.  My one question is in relation to brown rice.  Should i be looking at rice reacting with me the same as say bread and flour tortillas or is the brown rice good as long as it is in moderation? 
hlacy
on 9/12/11 2:29 pm - Chandler, AZ
Brown rice nutritionally is better than white rice, breads and tortillas. Rice still takes up a lot of pouch space for what it's worth. Have you tried quinoa? It is great nutritionally, and has a decent amount of protein (for a grain). I was a brown and/or basmati rice person before surgery, and I plan to use quinoa when I want a rice substitute (in moderation, of course).
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

yogibear
on 9/12/11 2:33 pm - Fountain Hills, AZ
 I havent tried quinoa yet but was a little concerned.  I am planned on trying to enter a body building show ina  couple of years once i get the weight back down again and my body shaped the way i want it.  I know that brown rice is a intricate part of the diet for body builders as a whole.
walterswife
on 9/12/11 5:10 pm

My nut told me that brown rice and beans/peas form a complete protein.  She recommended combined with black or pinto beans, or blackeye peas or pigeon peas.  It is a nice change from meat/fish and chicken.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

mrslatch
on 9/12/11 9:06 pm - Fort Campbell, KY
If I'm going to cook rice, it is going to be brown rice. I still only have it in moderation though, and after I eat my protein.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

Price S.
on 9/12/11 10:15 pm - Mills River, NC
Brown rice was added to our food plan at the same time as other whole grains.  My hubby isn't big on rice period, much less brown and so I don't do it.  My only grains have been from low carb, whole grain tortilla wraps. 

If you have a serious carb addition, rice of any variety won't do you any good.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

poet_kelly
on 9/13/11 11:25 am - OH
Well, I think bread and tortillas are good as long as it's in moderation.  But I'm not sure if rice reacts with you the same as bread and tortillas.  Only you know the answer to that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 250 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics