Burning muscle instead of fat

Pattycarr1962
on 9/15/11 7:02 am - OR
I saw the doc a few days ago and he said I am still burning to much muscle instead of fat. I am down to 177lbs and and I would like to get down to about 135lbs. He wants me to stop losing weight. He wants me to up my calories to 1200. I don't know how I can eat that many calories. I struggle now trying to get in 900 calories. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can burn more fat instead of muscle and how I can up my calories without eating a lot of junk? Also on top of all of this I have an ulcer so I am not very hungry. I feel great though. Please help!

azreggie
on 9/15/11 7:08 am - Tucson, AZ
Add a protein drink or two everyday.  It should help  How much protein are you getting in now per day?

Reggie

poet_kelly
on 9/15/11 7:53 am - OH
did you talk to your dietician about the best way to increase your calories?

Did you ask the doc how to burn more fat instead of muscle?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mrslatch
on 9/15/11 8:02 am - Fort Campbell, KY
A protein shake will probably help in both areas.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/15/11 8:22 am - OH
How does he know that your are "burning" muscle and not fat? 

It is a curious statement (as is the suggestion to just increase the calories) since the fat is the most readily available source of energy for your body to use when you are not getting enough CALORIES and the only reason you would lose muscle is if you are not getting enough PROTEIN...  so just increasing your calories won't stop muscle wasting... but upping your protein will even if you don;t significantly increase the calories.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

D-J
on 9/15/11 9:53 am
that makes soooo much sense Lora,,,i was worried about this very thing for myself that whole issue always seemed so complicated to me, you made it so easy for me to understand,,thank you.
Pattycarr1962
on 9/15/11 1:30 pm - OR
Lora, he attaches these electrodes to my foot and my hand. I always thought this was a weird way to measure if I am burning fat or muscle. My hands and my feet have always been really skinny even when I was at my highest weight. He is an endocrinologist and he says that this is how he can tell that I am burning more muscle than fat. He said I am burning fat just more muscle than fat. That's when he asked me about my protein intake and I told him I drink two drinks a day that has 30 grams in them each. He said I need to continue that and add resistance excercise to my walking. I already do that. I just don't think I can make this guy happy. I feel good about the weight I have lost and I think I look pretty damn good. I am going to try and add some more resistance excercise to my routine and see if that helps. I still need to figure out how to add more calories when I really am not that hungry.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 346 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 474 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 391 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 7 replies · 35 views
Recent Topics