After Losing Weight, Do You Look Older or Younger? 40 Plus Years Old Folks!

Ladytazz
on 9/16/11 1:21 pm
You probably won't be surprised to know that I hear that quite a bit.  People always want to know if I am mad.  I will try to smile more often :)  See, there I've started.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

cajungirl
on 9/16/11 9:47 am
After my initial weight loss I looked older but I face did fill in a little after so you may or may not go through that. I'm 47 now and get told I don't look 47. When I see myself in pictures I think I look older then when I look in a mirror.

Most people I see that have had WLS look younger.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Price S.
on 9/16/11 9:53 am - Mills River, NC
With clothes on, I look 15 yrs younger and get told that all the time.

Naked, I look 15yrs older with all this skin and wrinkles hanging around.

I'm 62.  I do see a few more wrinkles but not as many as I thought I would on my face.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Fulan
on 9/16/11 10:00 am
 I am 48 and everyone says I look much younger now that I have lost weight. Last month I spoke at at pre-op group and after the meeting several of the participants came up to me and said that they were afraid of looking older after losing weight until they saw me. Several people said they would have guessed I was in my lat e 20's! It felt great to hear that!

Lisa E.
on 9/16/11 10:21 am - Fontana, CA
 I am 42 and I have a grandson, I have lost 85 lbs and have been told many times I don't look old enough to have kids old enough to have kids LOL.. Also all my friends and family tell me I look at least 10 years younger.. IDK if they are just being nice but it does feel good to hear..
Good Luck, Lisa     

Steen16
on 9/16/11 10:28 am - Cape Coral, FL
 I'm 42 and thought I might have more wrinkles and look older after losing 110 pounds, but I have to say that I have been told I don't look over 35, so that's awesome to me! And I, too, feel a LOT younger now. I do use a lot of really great moisturizers too, which I know help keep my skin nice and less wrinkled.
Highest ever: 297
Pre-Op: 272 (height: 5' 7")
As of November 3rd: 159 (6 BELOW goal!!!!)
Goal: 165 
Pants size: 10  Shirt size: M

redhotengine1
on 9/16/11 10:36 am - Clayton, NC
I'm 46 and have been told my many friends that I look much younger than I did before.  I have no facial wrinkles and my skin is tight on my face.  I've lost 120 lbs at 11 months out.

Come visit my blog...www.losingmyinhibitions.wordpress.com

momokc
on 9/16/11 10:50 am
 This was one of my fears, too.  What I have seen with my friends that have had WLS is for the first couple of years they do look older to me (including me) however in the 3 rd year and beyond, most people start to look younger.  Depending on much skin you have that is hanging and depending what you decide to do about it may make you feel like you look older or maybe even younger. I was in the doctor's waiting area a month ago and there was a lady who was there and was already at goal.  She was was 67 years old, we got to talking about the skin issue and here is what she  told me: She is so happy to be able to do the things that she hasn't done in over 25 years that the skin doesn't bother her. She said her male companion doesn't seem to mind it either. Then she said He told me that when I am naked, I look like I have two knee high stockings on my chest with golf balls in them! and I just shove the excess skin that covered my stomach in my pants every day before I go out the door!  If you can see this vision in your mind right now, you will see that it really only depends on what you think about yourself more than what others think of you!  If you depend on other to tell you how you look and should feel, you are in for a life of disappointments as you self esteem needs to be what you think of yourself not what others think.  
Love you now and forever, 
Granny

Jeanne T.
on 9/16/11 11:11 am

I am so glad you asked this question as I have been wondering about this too.  I am 55 and am hoping to have surgery sometime late October.  Thanks for all the answers everyone.

Jeanne

jazzycatz
on 9/16/11 11:21 am - Joppa, MD

I'm 45 and have been lucky enough to age pretty well.  Most people seem genuinely surprised when they learn my age.  I have notice a couple of extra wrinkles since losing however and I am looking a tad bit drawn I think.  My DH says no but he is a man, what do they know?  LOL 

And my neck.  I don't think it is a turkey neck, per se, but there is extra skin there.  From my double chins.  But I would rather have the skin than the double chins.  I am hoping that I will see some redistribution on my face and maybe (please please) some absorption of some of my neck skin. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 405 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404