B12: how to take?

Sasrah1972
on 9/16/11 10:54 am - NY
Just started taking a supplement.

1. What exactly does sublingual mean? I get the under the tongue part but what if I chew it a bit?

2. Does it interact with iron? Can I take it at the same time as my other meds?

Thanks all--
Sasrah
RNY 5.17.11

poet_kelly
on 9/16/11 10:56 am - OH
1.  It means you let it dissolve under your tongue.  I'm guessing if you chomp on it a couple times and then put it under your tongue, it will be fine.  You don't want to swallow it, you want it to be absorbed under the tongue, though.  You don't have enough intrinsic factor in your pouch to absorb B12 that you swallow.

2.  It doesn't interact with iron but all the B vitamins like to go together, so it would probably be best to take it with your multi since that has lots of other B vites in it.  As far as I am aware, it does not interact with any meds but if you are on prescription drugs and you want to be sure about that, you can call your pharmacist.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Rena H.
on 9/16/11 11:24 am

Hello Kelly,

I have a question about B vitamins. Is it ok to take a B-Complex; in addition to a B-12 Sublingual after RNY?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

poet_kelly
on 9/16/11 11:40 am - OH
Yeah, it's OK.  The ASMBS actually includes a B complex in its list of vitamins we should take and says that one is optional.  You'll still need the sublingual B12 because you won't be able to absorb B12 in the B complex (assuming it's not a sublingual B complex - I don't even know if they make those).

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Rena H.
on 9/16/11 11:49 am
I actually Googled "Liquid B- Complex" and found some at this site. It appears it includes B-12 with it. I might purchase some of this and give it a try before surgery.

http://www.puritan.com/b-complex-vitamins-021?scid=6831&cm_g uid=1-_-100000000000000067317-_-7927715791&cm_mmc=Google-_-V itamin_B-Complex-_-liquid%20b%20complex-_-Exact+Ad_792771579 1&gclid=CNjg5_eTo6sCFYUSNAod4WWo2Q
rbb825
on 9/16/11 1:53 pm - Suffern, NY
You have to be really careful when taking B complex - while this one is sublingual, so you will absorb the B12, we tend to run too high with vitamin B6 just from taking our multi vitamin, so if you add this B complex, you will get additional B6 most likely making your B6 even higher.  Most b vitamins are water soluable, so being too high doesn't matter but B6 is the acception, B6 can become toxic.  So, before you take a b complex, make sure you get your B6 level checked, unless you are deficient or at the very bottom end, I wouldnt recommend it. The one other B vitamin that is essential for us to take, this b complex doesn't even have - vitamin B1.  We need to take 100mg of vitamin B1 per day, so if you are going to take anything - get a sublingual B12 - atleast 1000mcg daily and then get a separate B1 tablet - 100mg daily.  Then you can adjust based on your labs.

Sasrah1972
on 9/16/11 11:46 am - NY
Thanks!
Rena H.
on 9/16/11 12:20 pm
Hello Sasrah,

Here is a link to a site that tells about B-12 Sublingual in detail. Thought I would share. It never hurts to learn all you can about vitamins since we will be taking them for the rest of our lives. Best Wishes!

http://liquidvitaminbguide.com/
Pitoune
on 9/16/11 2:02 pm - Montréal, Canada
Why take a sublingual and not just a regular pill? Have been taking regular b12 for the last 5 years.
*~*Pitoune*~*
preview image

poet_kelly
on 9/16/11 2:08 pm - OH
Due to the lack of intrinsic factor in our pouch, we don't absorb B12 that we swallow.  If you've been using regular B12 for five years, I would think your B12 level would be extremely low by now.  What was it last time you had labs done?

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 760 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 89 views
Recent Topics