Gaining weight!!!!

Arinsho2
on 9/18/11 6:16 am, edited 9/18/11 6:26 am
I have lost 29 pounds in 6 weeks and I am happy about it but I weighed this morning and I am up 3 pounds!!! What the heck? I have started to eat "real" food and I was thinking maybe that's why I'm gaining. I was told by my surgeon that I should only be doing weights as a work out but I'm thinking maybe I should be doing cardio too. What have you guys tried?
Arin----Revision from Band to BYPASS!!!!                        
poet_kelly
on 9/18/11 6:33 am - OH
It's normal for your weight to fluctuate sometimes.  If that worries you, stay off the scale.

Why does your surgeon think you should only do weights and no cardio?  My surgeon recommended both.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kathleen W.
on 9/18/11 6:36 am - Lancaster, PA
There are a lot of reasons for a 3 lb. weight gain.  Such as: eating a lot of food that has sodium(pickles, Chinese food, etc), that time of the month, being in a stall where you gain and lose the same 3 lbs for a couple weeks to 1-2 months,  The list could go on.  Also, when did you have you're surgery,  You mentioned that you started to eat real food, so I'm assuming that you had your surgery about 6-8 weeks ago.  If so, your body is protesting.
The biggest thing you could do right now is listen to your surgeon about exercises and talk to the dietitians/nutritionist about what you are eating.
I hope this helps.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/18/11 7:17 am - OH
When you are in a stall and "gaining and losing" the same 3 pounds over and over, you are not really GAINING those pounds back and then LOSING them again... it is nothing more than water weight fluctuation just like with sodium and hormonal variations (unless you are somehow eating THOUSANDS of extra calories in between weigh-ins).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/18/11 7:13 am - OH
It's just normal water weight fluctuation.  You did NOT gain three pounds of fat unless you ate 10,500 calories MORE than you burned since the last time you weighed yourself.  Pretty much impossible (even if you TRIED) 6 weeks after a RNY...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Loveshinesthru
on 9/18/11 4:27 pm - Mesa, AZ
 I heard that upping your protein can help with weight loss. 

HW: 314 SW: 297 CW:166

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 490 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 456 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 464 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 418 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 117 views