In hospital now....is Flomax safe?

Kim26
on 9/19/11 11:08 pm
I'm in the hospital with a kidney stone...they want to give me Flomax. Is it safe for us?

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
poet_kelly
on 9/19/11 11:16 pm - OH
I'm not sure what Flomax is but as long as it's not an NSAID, it should be OK.  They can telephone your bariatric surgeon if they aren't sure if it's OK for us or not.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/19/11 11:40 pm - OH
I checked a couple of web sites because I thought Flomax was for just prostate problems in men.  That is the primary use (as a relaxant to make urination easier) but several sites mentioned that it is NOT for use by women (and that it may cause birth defects if it is)...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kim26
on 9/20/11 1:35 am
Thank you both! I am home now (still have yet to pass this first kidney stone of mine) with a bunch of prescriptions...Flomax as one of them. I am seeing similar warnings of not for use by women. I will talk with the pharmisist, but I may just not take it. Thanks again!

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
Kim H.
on 9/20/11 2:15 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
Flomax is frequently prescribed for and used by women with kidney stones or urinary retention issues. It's officially "not for women" because the FDA approval was for treatment of prostate disease in men only. However, it's off-label use is as I already mentioned and a common practice. It's a Category B medication meaning it's considered as safe/dangerous as taking tylenol, motrin or even aspartame while pregnant. Personally, I would use it. If you have any concerns though, talk to your health care provider.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Kim26
on 9/20/11 4:36 am
Thank you! I talked to the pharmisist (i know I'm spelling that wrong) and she assured me that it was safe, and not in the NSAID family. I have not taken yet, but feel better about it's safety for kidney stones. Thanks everyone!

(17 lbs lost pre-op)