Going on a cruise, should I be worried about what to eat?

AngieT75
on 9/22/11 12:32 am
My husband and I both had RNY las year him in Oct 2010 and me in Nov.
I have lost 139 and he has lost 105
we are going on a cruise in december for the first time. should i be worried about what we can eat?  He should be okay he loves seafood which has lots of protein
I DO NOT EAT sea creatures at all. Cannot stand the smell even. so should i be worried?
I am going to take some protein shakes and bars for those days i may not eat enough protein.
has anyone cruised since surgery? how did it go?

RNY Nov 17, 2011

High weight 423

Surgery day 403

Current 162

261 lost

Barbara C.
on 9/22/11 12:58 am - Raleigh, NC

Angie,

While you may want to take a few protein shake packets with you, I think you will be pleased to find that there are plenty of protein friendly options on a cruise. Just lead with the lean protein selection, follow that with colorful carbs and you aren't likely to have much room for getting into too much deep water, if you know what I mean. 

Have a wonderful trip!

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

laura_vermont
on 9/22/11 1:16 am
I agree - we've cruised once since surgery - I didn't pack any supplements and didn't have any problem getting in my protein.  I stayed probably 90% on track and never felt like I was missing out.  Also did the gym & walking track on board which were really pleasant. 

Have a great trip!
Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

AngieT75
on 9/22/11 2:56 am
Okay thank you both.  i was just not sure what to expect. our first cruise ever and dont want to go 8 days without eating the right amount of protein.
good to know.

RNY Nov 17, 2011

High weight 423

Surgery day 403

Current 162

261 lost

Dan OBrien
on 9/22/11 5:21 am - FL
You'll have a blast.  There is always plenty to choose from, and most ships I have been on also have a separate restaurant open for dinner with a menu ($$$).  But the main dining I think I would be ok with, as well as the buffets...but that's coming from someone who hasn't been on one post surgery.  Personally I think it's a good Idea to bring your shakes along - I would for the morning at least - although there is always eggs and meats available.

PS - fix your signature - it says your RNY was in 2011, not 2010.  I almost started to tell you eat up while you can!
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 9/22/11 8:06 am
I have not been on a cruise since but have been on a few before surgery.  They usually have an area on the top deck that has food out all the time.  So you can eat several small meals/snacks.
They will have plenty of fresh fruits and veggies as well as protein options.  

When at the main dining room you could order more than one protein item.  Last time we went my son ordered a shrimp ****tail every night for an app.

You probably won't have any problems at all.

Winnie

seattledeb
on 9/22/11 11:00 am
You won't have any trouble at all. The only trouble you will have is when you come home and you have to cook your own meals again.
I brought protein bars for "emergency food". I ate one after I went kayaking ( I was off the boat then). I never needed any kind of protein shakes or bar on the boat.
Have fun. DO my favorite thing...walk all around the outside top decks early in the morning and at sunset too. So peaceful and good for movement.
Deb T>

AngieT75
on 9/26/11 7:16 am
On September 22, 2011 at 6:00 PM Pacific Time, seattledeb wrote:
You won't have any trouble at all. The only trouble you will have is when you come home and you have to cook your own meals again.
I brought protein bars for "emergency food". I ate one after I went kayaking ( I was off the boat then). I never needed any kind of protein shakes or bar on the boat.
Have fun. DO my favorite thing...walk all around the outside top decks early in the morning and at sunset too. So peaceful and good for movement.
Deb T>
Thanks for the info. We should be fine then. DH has it made as he loves sea food, but i dont eat it.  I will walk the top deck. thanks for the idea.

RNY Nov 17, 2011

High weight 423

Surgery day 403

Current 162

261 lost

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views