TMI: Sorry Constipation Problems yet again, Vita Lady please help!!

Dee2011
on 9/23/11 12:11 pm - PA
I have been taking 6 stool softeners a day plus have a little fruit, mostly berries and watermelon and eveything has been going o****il today.  I have been trying all day to have a BM.  I have taken mag citrate, stool softeners, mag oxide, and miralax and still am having problem.  I did get some out but not the usual and I feel just awful.  I just took another mag oxide a bit ago, it's 400mg.  Should I try to get some sleep tonight and see what happens tomorrow or is something more I can do rather than going to the ER?  How much mag oxide can I take a day?  I can hear noises.  I feel at times like I am going to pass out from pushing so hard.   Any and all suggestions are welcome.  Before surgery if I had a problem which was far and few between, I would drink and eight glass of prune juice, I guess that's out of the question now?  A friend told me to mix 1/2 c applesauce, 1/2 c of prune juice and 1/2 c of 100% bran cereal and only eat 1-2 tablespoons, she said the rest would keep in fridge for a week; any thoughts on this?
poet_kelly
on 9/23/11 12:18 pm - OH
I suggest a Dulcolax suppository for now.  You'll go within an hour.  Then take  miralax and magnesium oxide every day so you don't get so backed up again.

I wouldn't go to the ER for constipation.  I think the most they might do is give you an emema, which you can do yourself at home.  Otherwise, they would probably just tell you what you should take for it and send you home.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lilbear412
on 9/23/11 12:23 pm, edited 9/23/11 12:28 am - MN
same problem, same time same thing....its been like 4 days since i went to the bathroom and really right now its just an anxiety attack i am having cause i am scared. not sure this ever has happened to me before..and i think it might be to late for the laxative..its just a matter of finishing the job... thanks kelly for the info...

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

vitalady
on 9/23/11 1:48 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
That recipe would last me years. YUCK.

Do you do the mag oxide, SS and miralax every day? The only thing I see missing is hot beverage. If you are not miserable (stop pushing, do deep breathing!), wait til morning and FIRST thing when you are awake enough, drink a glass of ho****er or whatever your beverage is.

The hot signals your body to turn on the systems.

If you need to go NOW, I'd suggest enema over suppository because can you better manipulate where it goes. Before I got my system ironed out, I was dependent on them for nearly 3 yrs. After I had my colon trap my bladder, I never went without SOMETHING again. I'd reached a point where I could not get result from even triple milk of mag. I didn't use "laxtives", as such, but still, my colon was moving left-right at the same time, which was seen in my routine colonosocpy. Diet would never have helped me.

The recipe assumes that the problem is dietary, which it may not be. Mine was mechanical, as in, wrong peristalsis. So everything I tried to change in my diet or natural or rx fixes didn't work. The Miralax and magnesium seemed to organize the "electrical" problem, SS worked with the actual, um, product and the hot beverage turns on the switches.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

dasie
on 9/23/11 9:08 pm
What is SS.  I just purchased mag oxide, again, to attempt, again, to get this under control without using enemas, if possible.  I remember reading your post about the 3 year enema ordeal.  I am able to move my bowels w/o anything at times.  But I need to find a solution.  I will try SS, whatever that is

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 9/23/11 9:54 pm
SS = stool softener.  Colace or ducolax

Winnie

dasie
on 9/24/11 12:48 am
Of course...have taken lots of them.  I think what VitaLady suggests is Mirelax, SS and mag oxide with hot drink?  I need to try all of those at one time and see if that helps.  Thanks

LosingSally
on 9/23/11 3:50 pm
One thing that would help, is some fat in your diet. If you have no reaction when you eat a resonable amount of fat like butter, or olive oil, etc, I would up the fat consumption.
dasie
on 9/23/11 9:04 pm
Give yourself a fleet enema, and keep them around.  I ended up in ER about a year ago due to that issue.  I thought I had a blockage.  They did CT with dye, etc.  They ended up giving me an enema and making  me hold it for 30 minutes.  First they told me 15 minutes, and after that time passed, they came and and said now 15 minutes more.  They were smart.  If they had told me 30 in the beginning, I would have probably crawled off that table.  Now...I do not allow myself to go more than two day w/o movement and will use fleets if necessary.  I tried the prume mixture, and it did not work for me.  I hope it will for you.

Dee2011
on 9/23/11 10:41 pm - PA
Thanks everyone for you responses.  I did get a little out and then gave up for the night and went to bed. I am going to drink something hot in a few minutes and take ss, and mag oxide with my morning vitamins and see how things go.  I do have qa fleet on hand in case I need it. I just want to get this part of my body functioning properly again if that it possible.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics