When do you quit???

L. Rios
on 9/24/11 6:30 am, edited 9/24/11 6:31 am - Springfield, MO
Ok I'm almost 3 years out.  When do you quit having to tell people you had a RNY?  I love the fact of meeting new people just because they never knew the fat me.  But then its like like why don't you eat this or drink that?  I don't want to have to explain this my whole life.  Damn!  I just wanna be the new me!  I don't want to foeget where I've came from but I'm over the explaining.  Help! :D
mrslatch
on 9/24/11 6:40 am - Fort Campbell, KY
When I meet new people. I don't ever bring up that I have lost a ton of weight or had RNY. If I choose to decline a food or drink because of RNY, I really don't give an excuse. Or if someone offers me dessert I either say no thanks, or only take a few bites. If they inquire, I'd say something like "Oh too much sugar and I just don't get along!". Really, I don't find most people to be very nosy, especially with how health conscience our society is as a whole.

I like you just want to be me. The current me, without having to always hash out the old me and all of that. I just want to live for the now and future, not in the past.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

L. Rios
on 9/24/11 6:45 am - Springfield, MO
I'm with you girlfriend!  I'm ready to move on already! I've lost enough friends over this whole weightloss thing.  :D
MedPig
on 9/24/11 6:44 am
Just tell them you CAN'T have it.  If they think you're a diabetic, so be it, they won't push the issue. 

If it comes to it, don't make a big deal, just tell them and drop it.  They should figure it out at some point. 

missjann
on 9/24/11 7:32 am
You are not beholden to do any explaining to anybody. No thanks should suffice.
I had a very pushy person practically demand that I eat a protein bar with 24 g
sugar and 12 g fat...duh....NO!  I said "that's nice of you to offer, but no thanks".
He insisted and insisted and demanded to know why I wouldn't eat it.  He was
personally offended because he saw it as something uber healthy and was
having trouble processing that I didn't think the same thing. How about because
I said, "no"?  But I just smiled, repeated a bit more firmly, "No thank you" and
turned away.  End of conversation.  It's not that there's
anything I had to hide...but more that it's my right to explain or not.  We
don't "owe" anybody anything, particularly when it concerns our
personal business.  Good luck!
    Jan

DebsGiz
on 9/24/11 7:53 am, edited 9/23/11 7:54 pm - FL

I understand perfectly what you're saying. The obese me is gone, just like the kid me, the teenager me, the 30 year old me, the 40 year old me, are all gone.

Like all the other "me's" that were one time who I was, I just don't feel the need to keep revisiting a life that no longer exists. Not that I am ashamed of the obese life, but more so because I just don't feel the need to revisit a lot of the old me's, including the post-op me. Does this make sense?

With regard to what to tell people, I don't tell them anything. If people ask me why I have not finished something on my plate, I simply say I'm a small eater and I'm full. No need to explain any further than that.

We're both three years out so I am sending you, my sister, the warmest of congratulations!!! Good job!!!!!!
L. Rios
on 9/24/11 11:18 am - Springfield, MO
I completly understand what your saying! Amen sister! Thank you! You as well! You look amazing! :D
vitalady
on 9/24/11 8:04 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I don't mind because my long term success can maybe set someone free.

I don't bring it up, unless they do. OR if someone clearly needs help, I might refer to the difference between wearing a size 28 and a size 2, for example. It has to work into conversation naturally, though.

I will always be morbidly obese, a fatal physical disease. I have put it into remission. I wish everyone had that chance.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Eliza55
on 9/24/11 8:45 am - PA
I really like your last statement that you will always be morbidly obese, but have put it into remission.  I will keep that wisdom with me.

Thanks
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

vitalady
on 9/24/11 9:08 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
My doc actually used that phrase. Having had 3 regains when I "forgot who I am", I need almost a daily reminder

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics