Having a baby

Arinsho2
on 9/25/11 3:36 am
How soon can someone become pregnate after having the bypass? My Doc says 18 months what have some of yours said?
Arin----Revision from Band to BYPASS!!!!                        
poet_kelly
on 9/25/11 4:01 am - OH
People can become pregnant very soon after having RNY.  The surgery does not cause infertility.  However, most docs advise waiting a year or two.  I think my surgeon said 18 months but I don't remember for sure.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tanya8071
on 9/25/11 4:04 am
my dr's have all told me 2 yrs after the surgery is the safe zone .. hope this helps :)

~TANYA~

~NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS~

talula216
on 9/25/11 5:48 am - RI
RNY on 01/16/12
According to the paperwork I received its says 2 years before trying to become pregnant.

Talula
Starting weight 369

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/11 6:06 am - Memphis, TN
Depends on your surgeon and your cir****tances. Most range anywhere from 12-24 months post surgery. Mainly because you are losing weight so quickly, they want to be sure the baby gets adequate nutrition. I have known of a few people who were ok'd by their surgeon and OBGYN earlier than that if their weight was fairly stable and they had something going on that they needed to go ahead and start trying. Most say absolute minimum 1 year, though.
PTM
on 9/25/11 6:30 am
My doc strongly recommends waiting at least 18 months. In fact, one of the things we sign pre-op is a "pledge" of sorts to use TWO forms of birth control for 18 months. Since I have unexplained infertility, anyway, I've chosen to go with Depo Provera injections - in large part because I was afraid my fertility *would* increase with weight loss. And I most emphatically do NOT want to get pregnant since I'm 48 years old and not yet in menopause. It would be just my luck to be the butt of a cosmic joke like that!
Margaret   HW: 342    SW: 320    CW:  228    GW:  175    3          
heatherambrosia
on 9/25/11 12:24 pm - GA
I'll confirm my doc said 12 months at least and I'm on two forms of control. I have PCOS and really look forward to starting a family, but I think I may wait just a bit longer so I can enjoy this awesome body!
SW 343, Current below, Goal 160 & to start a family!11978920
flyingwoman
on 9/25/11 1:32 pm
You can become uber-fertile immediately after surgery, but it's not good to get pregnant for at least a year, preferably 2. With malabsorption and limited caloric intake you would not be able to fruitfully provide critical nutrition to a growing fetus and vitamin and mineral deficiencies caused by malabsorption may result in birth defects and put you at a considerably higher risk of miscarriage.
kait8513
on 9/25/11 2:02 pm - FL
RNY on 02/06/12
I have a friend who got the sleeve and had to wait 12-15 months, my doc said 18-24--- that is one of the main reasons for my having this surgery, so 18 onths after surgery can't come soon enough!
--Kaitlyn
Starting Weight:275     Surgery Weight:255   "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" 

Shanneee
on 9/25/11 2:23 pm - MN
When I first met with my surgeon he told me he likes people to wait 2 years.  I told him I may not have the surgery because my "clock" is ticking and that would make me 35 when I delivered my first child.  He understood and said that while he recommends 2 years, he understood the cir****tances and thinks I would be ok getting pregnant after a year. 

Obviously I'm not planning anything until I see how my weight loss goes but I'm hoping to get pregnant 14 months after surgery (a year from now).  We'll see!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views