Anyone else dealing with this?

virvin
on 9/25/11 9:41 am - CO
Hey, everyone.  I am now 3 months post-op.  I am down to 251 from 310....almost 60 pounds.  I should be proud of myself and very happy.  I thought the more I lost weight, the happier I would be.  Instead...my depression seems to be getting worse.  I am becoming more reclusive...and it is making my job extremely difficult.  I have to travel for work and even though I can now fit comfortably in most seats, I do not look forward to it like I use to.  I don't even want to go to church any more.  I watch the service online instead.  What is happening??

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

poet_kelly
on 9/25/11 9:45 am - OH
Were you diagnosed with depression before surgery?  Sounds like you need to talk to a doctor about whether or not antidepressant therapy might be helpful for you?  Are you in counseling?  That would probably help too.

Losing weight does not automatically make people happy.  You may have used food to deal with stress or comfort yourself in the past, but now you can't really do that.  So you might need to learn new coping skills.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

virvin
on 9/25/11 9:54 am - CO
Yes.  I suffer from PMDD, but this depression is lasting past my cycle.  The reclusiveness is the part that is concerning me.  I will talk to my doctor again...I tried counseling, but I'm not having much luck.

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

poet_kelly
on 9/25/11 9:58 am - OH
Well, even when we really want to lose weight, this process can stir up all kinds of feelings that we aren't prepared to deal with.  The rapid weight loss can also make your hormones wacky.  You know if what you're experiencing lately is part of your "normal" PMDD or not and it sounds like it's not.  If you are concerned about it, then definitely talk to your doc.  Don't let it get out of hand.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/11 4:06 pm - Front Royal, VA
RNY on 08/29/11 with

I have PMDD and found that even after my lapband surgery I had to keep taking my sarafem and not slow down on it until my weight and hormones stabilized.  Also, having the surgery can give people a feeling of loss and grieving that they were not expecting to happen. The sarafem can be taken full cycle and not just 2 weeks on and then off until your ovulation starts.  Also all the changes going on with weight loss can mess up hormones and make you feel out of softs for awhile. I would keep track of whats going on and stay in contact with my primary doctor and have them help make recommendations as things are changing for you.

Good luck

SweetLilyAnn
on 9/25/11 10:17 am - TX
Hi there....We have the same-ish surgery date and have lost approx the same amount of weight. I know what it is like to shed these pounds and possibly feeling more vulnerable. Is that how you are feeling? I have been on anti-depressants for a year or so (after the death of my dad) and find that they have helped me tremendously and will not even attempt to go off of them until things "settle" in my life. They are helping me adjust to the changes. Not sure if you are attending therapy or support groups, but it could be a good idea. Therapy/support is so important to me and I feel that i helps you too.

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

Eliza55
on 9/25/11 10:50 am - PA
I agree with all the posters - check with your primary care doc.  I was about to go off my antidepressant this summer, but my doc kept me on it until everything settles down after surgery.  I'm glad I took his advice.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

missravensmom
on 9/25/11 11:56 am
I could not help myself...I had to reply.  I have been on anti-depressants for 3 years now( since before I got a divorce).  I could come off of them but why. They don't bother my blood pressure or make me gain/lose weight or effect my liver functions.  I just prefer to leave well enough alone.  Talk to you PCP but I would not be in hurry to come off them.  I would rather come off my cholesterol meds...haha.  BTW...surgery is Wednesday...I am so excited.
virvin
on 9/25/11 1:52 pm - CO
Thank you all for the support.  This has been a wonderful place to come and get help, a sympathetic ear, and to help others in their journey.  I always hesitate to post when I'm sad or flustered, but I have to have someone to alk to.

Here are some good things so you don't think I'm all pessimism. 
1.  I am off my blood pressure meds.
2.  I am off my PCOS meds.
3.  I am off my cholesterol meds.
4.  I have lost only 60 pounds.
5.  I haven't had to use my nebulizer since my surgery (I have asthma).
6.  I did my first 2.5 mile walk since my surgery on Saturday morning.
7.  I can climb the stairs to my 2nd floor apartment without wishing I had oxygen tanks in my place.
8.  I am eating more solid protein and less liquid protein.

Thanks!

CarolBeth
on 9/25/11 11:30 pm - SoCal, CA
Hi, I just saw your post and understand.  We're about at the same time and weight levels.  I don't FEEL depressed, but I am definitely becoming more reclusive as well.  I just feel that talking to and dealing with others is such a chore and I'd rather be by myself.  I don't want to talk to anyone on the phone.  I don't have trouble getting up and going to work but talking to anyone, especially if it isn't work related, just takes so much effort.  In my head, I'm yelling, "just leave me alone!"  It is worrying me, and I guess I'd better start going to see a therapist before this really gets out of hand. 
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 470 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 384 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?