Antibiotics & Vitamins

Shanneee
on 9/26/11 1:32 am - MN
So I went to the doctor today for an eye infection (my eye is swollen shut, yech) and he diagnosed me with an internal stye and faxed in a scrip for antibiotics.  When I got to the pharmacy the pharmacist told me I can't take the antibiotics with meals or any other vitamins.  I have to wait three hours after taking vitamins to take them.  And  I have to take them three times a day. 

I figured this out and that means there's no way I can fit in all my vitamins and antibiotics.  If I take my multi, iron, D, and biotin first thing in themorning at 8, I have to wait until 11 to take my first antibiotic.  Then 2 to take my first calcium.  Then 5 for my next antibiotic.  Then 8 for my next calcium.  Then 11 for my next antibiotic.  Then 2 am for my next calcium.  Then 5 am for my final multi.  Then I'd start all over again at 8 am?  There's no way that I can do this! 

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Waking up every three hours in the middle of the night is not an option due to my sleep apnea and sleeping partner...  I'm a little nervous about all this.  Are all antibiotics like this?  

HELP!

Kim H.
on 9/26/11 1:55 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
Make your antibiotic a priority since it will only be for a limited time. Although it's not ideal to miss your vitamins you could do more harm to your eye if you don't get the infection under control. So, you may miss some of your vitamins for the week but in the long run, assuming you take them regularly, it won't hurt you. In this case it's about prioritizing and I say without hesitation that if your eye is swollen shut the antibiotics are all that matter for the next week or however long your prescription is! I hope you feel better and can open your eye soon! (even if the swelling goes down right away, make sure you take all the meds as directed since the infection can come back if not fully treated)

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
lilbear412
on 9/26/11 2:34 am - MN
 i would definately get up in teh morning and take what you take for your vitamins...then i wouldn't worry about the calcium at all and start your antibiotics..or start your antibiotics and take them all day and your multi, iron, d and biotin at night.   it won't hurt to not take calcium for a week but it will hurt to not ever take them again.  lol

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Eliza55
on 9/26/11 2:35 am - PA
I would take the antibiotics first, and follow with the calcium.  You might miss one for a couple of days, but that woulr work.  Also do you wait 3 hours after taking the antibiotic, or 3 hours before.  Your schedule shows both, and typically antibiotics don't require both 3 hours before and after.  You might be able to take one of the drugs an hour before.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

poet_kelly
on 9/26/11 2:36 am - OH
The antibiotics cannot be taken with any vitamins?  Not with the multi, and not with calcium?

How long are you supposed to be on the antibiotics?  Would it help if you dropped one daily dose or calcium for a week or two?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Shanneee
on 9/26/11 8:20 am - MN
Thanks everyone.  Yes, she said I couldn't take the antibioti****il 3 hours after taking vitamins.  She also said that I need to wait until after the antibiotic got fully into my system (3 hours) before taking vitamins because it could bind to my vitamins and not be absorbed?  If that sounds right. 

I have just never heard of not being able to take antibiotics with vitamins...I'm wondering if it's just this particular vitamin?  I'm also not supposed to eat big meals with them (but I am supposed to eat SOMETHING).  I'm thinking I'll just have to pass on a few calcium supplements and call it good....  very odd, though. 

Thanks for your advice everyone!

Bucketta
on 9/26/11 8:28 am
 I'd like to know what antibiotic you are on?  I have never heard of this but may be something I need to ask about. 

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

Kim H.
on 9/26/11 8:39 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
Cipro is the one that pops into mind because calcium and I think zinc or something else can decrease its absorption...not sure about the other ones.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Bucketta
on 9/27/11 12:35 pm
 I have never been told this with Cipro but then my PCP is not up on bariatric surgery and my pharmacy rarely puts any warnings on their drugs.

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

Kim H.
on 9/28/11 12:42 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
The warning is actually not for bariatric patients but for ALL patients. Frustrating not to be informed. Makes me crazy to think about it especially since I'm a nurse!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 244 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 398 views
Recent Topics