Calcium

bomoni727
on 9/26/11 10:45 pm - MN
 I'm a newbie just had surgery on 9/7.  Tomorrow I have been instructed by my surgeon and nutritionist to start taking calcium citrate.  I would like to know if doing the Caltrate 600+D chews will work for the requirement.  I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing.  Someone more than 3 weeks out please respond.  Thanks very much.
glzgowlass
on 9/26/11 11:18 pm, edited 9/26/11 6:49 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I think that is calcium carbonate which won't do. Check the label. It must be calcium citrate. I bought mine from the surgeon's office. "Bariatric Advantage" caramel chewable. It's very pleasant. You can buy others otc though. Just make sure you don't take them with iron and you take about 500-600mgs three times a day. At least that is what I was told at Doc's office. Your body can't absorb any more at any one time.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Dave Chambers
on 9/26/11 11:31 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Not every supplement comes in a chewable form. And if they did, you likely won't like the taste of all of them.  I prefer the calcium citrate in a capsule form. Capsules are far easier to swallow than pills, due to the larger size needed for 500-600mg of calcium citrate. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Jameen G.
on 9/27/11 12:39 am - NC
Dave what are yout taking?  what kind of capsules are these?  Brand? etc.?

jameen (take a minute to smile ...)

Dave Chambers
on 9/27/11 1:32 am - Mira Loma, CA
These capsules are from vitalady.com , her brand. I call to order or you can order online.  These are caclium citrate with some magnesium citrate to help absorption, 600mg. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

aaaaaaa
on 9/27/11 1:12 am
 My mom takes Caltrate, and it is Calcium Carbonate, which is not absorbed well by many of us due to low acid in our stomach.  When I first started, and didn't want to swallow pills yet, I ordered my calcium citrate supplements from Bariatric Advantage or Vitalady. There are many chewables in various flavors. I know they are a bit costly, but it was worth it to me until I felt like I could swallow pills easily with no problems. I then moved on to Twinlabs Calcium Citrate in a capsule form, that I would open and pour on a spoon and take with a little swig of Crystal Light ( it is sold in stores and it was cheaper than ordering online calcium)  and after that I moved on to Citracal Petites, and FINALLY I went to Citracal regular.  (whew!!)   Anyway, this was all in  the first 4 months after surgery.  Sounds more complicated than it really was! lol    Just a progression.   Do take citrate, not carbonate, and do take it at least 2 hours away from your iron or it messes with the iron absorption. Good luck! :D

poet_kelly
on 9/27/11 1:43 am - OH
No it won't work.  Caltrate is calcium CARBONATE, which we don't absorb.  That's why they advised you to take calcium CITRATE.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

glzgowlass
on 9/27/11 6:47 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I got some free samples from my doctor's office.  I like all the flavors, lol.  That's my trouble; there's not much I don't like.  You can get calcium citrate in caramel, chocolate, lemon or raspberry flavors.  Maybe even more.  They are pricy but I like them a lot.  When they are done, I'll switch to the tablets as I should be able to tolerate pills at that point.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Mia H.
on 9/27/11 10:49 am - OH
 I have not tried the chocolate, but have the caramel, lemon and raspberry.  They are sooo good. Like a little candy treat.  They also curb my sweet tooth.  I buy mine from Bariatric Advantage.  It's $12 a bag and it'll last 10 days a bag, so they are pricy.  Keep your eye out for specials.  I bought a bunch a few weeks ago when they had buy 2 get 1 free sale.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics