Calling All Runners

mrslatch
on 9/29/11 8:33 am - Fort Campbell, KY
Okay, so just this week I got out and ran for the first time since I had my daughter. I was pleasently surprised I can run a little over a mile (just happens to be the route I chose in my neighborhood) straight with some hills. But what is next? I enjoy running, eventhough it is 'hard' for me right now. How do I increase my milage? I'm really not too worried about time at this point (I'm running about an 11:00 mile...yeah...slow) I guess I'll conqure that next. Endurance is more what I'm looking to improve now. Thoughts? How often should I run?
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

FlyingPrincess
on 9/29/11 8:38 am
google "couch to 5k"... the program works! i went from being barely able to run to running a 10k. doing another 10k and also doing a half marathon in february! i run no more than 3 times a week-remember its hard on our bodies and we need to rest. im running around a 13-14 minute mile so you are way far ahead!
Lapband 7/2/2009
Lapbad removal 5/24/2011
Revision to RNY 7/5/2011
HW: 293 SW: 272 CW: 242.2 LW: 233 GW: 185
(updated 9/20/11)

mrslatch
on 9/29/11 8:41 am - Fort Campbell, KY
I had forgotten about that program. I did it before I got pregant...well or well started it. lol I need to go back and look at it again. :) Thanks! And way to go on the 10k and 1/2!!! That is so awesome, and huge goal of mine.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

KatCooper
on 9/29/11 10:10 am - Collierville, TN
 You might want to cross post this to the exercise and fitness forum.  They are amazingly helpful and just a generally great group of people!!!   I am just in the jogging about as fast as I walk stage, but that group has supported me all the way.

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

KittenLove
on 9/29/11 9:20 pm - Around Knoxville, TN
Whoo hoo!!! Welcome to your transfer addiction! LOL

first of all, an 11 min mile isn't slow -- at all.

My only advice is not increase mileage more than 10-15% each week to avoid overuse injuries...do intervals for that longer distance -- I'm a huge fan of two shorter runs during the week and a long run one day of the weekend. There are no shortcuts to getting to a specific distance-- it just takes time.

Be happy. 

Paul C.
on 9/29/11 10:03 pm - Cumming, GA
I am a an of a 3 run week as well.  2 Short runs for me typically treadmill where I can do speed intervals or a solid tempo run with a long weekend run. 

I started with a short run being 3 miles and then I was dying.  Now my short speed runs on the TM are 4-6 miles typically around 5 and wok me trhough various speeds in a pyramid fashion in .25 - 1 mile increments.  Weekend long runs are 9+ miles now typically 12 miles.

There is no substitute for hard work and putting in your time the rewards are highly visible.  In feb or Apr I ran (not completed my first 5K)  it was 32 and change, before I had run/walk a couple but couldn't break the 40min time.  Solid speed drills on the TM now have me running a hilly 5K in under 29.

Long runs you should add a mile every week or so and when you break the 60 plus mark then you need to pay attention to things like hydration and fueling your runs.

Kitten is right 11:00 is a good pace it is what I try to train my 15K plus distances at because I will typically race 30 seconds faster per mile on avg.

Signing up for a race is a great motivation to keep pushing yourself and stay on track.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
mrslatch
on 9/30/11 5:57 am - Fort Campbell, KY
Thanks so much guys! I think I'm going to shoot for getting myself up to 2 miles starting tomorrow. Maybe slowing it down a bit when I feel tired to catch my breath will help and then do some interval training on Monday or Tuesday. I do crossfit-type workouts as well, so I'm thinking this new running thing is going to fit in nicely.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 250 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?