2 weeks post op feeling rotten

RoyzgIrl
on 9/30/11 8:48 am
Hi I had surgery nearly 2 weeks ago and honestly,  I feel like hell. I feel like I am forcing the protein drink which leaves me feeling nauseated, I can eat very little of the soft protein diet my Dr. advanced me to. I am so weak I can barely get up to do anything, when I am up I break into a cold sweat and have to rest after a few minutes. Has anyone else had a difficult time adjusting to life after this surgery? I am emotionally a wreck! I can't seem to 'fit' everything in that is suppose to be going in! Can someone help?
christy
Maurilia1
on 9/30/11 9:05 am - CA

Have you tried hot lemon water? thats what my Dr. said to do if one gets this way. i had lap band 9/09 and the band didnt work for me and now i am getting RNY 12/2 but, when i had the band working for me and i couldnt eat or drink my liquids, hot lemon water helped! 

hope it works if you havent tried it.

poet_kelly
on 9/30/11 9:12 am - OH
It can be really hard in the beginning.  About how much liquid are you getting in?  How much protein?  If you get dehydrated you will be very weak and nauseous.

Did your doc prescribe something for nausea?  If not, call the office and ask.  You can call even though it's the weekend, someone will be oncall.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mandy R.
on 9/30/11 9:38 am - Callahan, FL
My MD is making me do clear liquid diet x 3 weeks, maybe you are advancing too fast ?  Just an idea, haven't had my surgery yet....

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

Annette O.
on 9/30/11 11:07 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
I had my surgery 9/19 and didn't get out of the hospital until  9/25, so we're probably the same time out. I have a list from my nut on what to take and when, it's not concrete but more of a suggestion. Anyway, I ended up having to make a check list. I'm still on pureed food and will be for the next week or so. I've not had a lot of energy but as days have gone by I feel more normal everyday. Not sure if my post helps you or not but maybe it's good to know your not alone.

Annette O
GreyEagle
on 10/1/11 12:25 pm - WA
My surgery was originally scheduled for this past Thurs. It was postponed to Oct 21st due to my coming down with a urinary tract infection.

My surgeon said his patients are generally in the hospital 2 days. I've heard 2 days and 5 days. I see you went home  the 6th day? I'm not sure what determines how long one stays in hospital.

Good to see you are getting along good.

Ken GreyEagle
Western Band Cherokee
Scherrie Tappin
on 10/1/11 2:10 pm - CT

I felt like you did after I had my surgery. I felt absolutely awful!! I convinced myself I made the biggest mistake of my life! I ended up back in the hospital dehydrated and in diabetic ketoacidosis! I almost lost my life. Surgery of any kind is very stressful on your body, and rest and proper hydration and nutrition are key! The anesthesia alone takes awhile to leave your body. I went back to work almost immediately after I had my surgery, within 7 days, and that was a BIG mistake! I worked 1/2 day and in 2 days I was back in intensive care for 3 days with everything depleted from my body! Followed by another 2 days in a regular hospital room. You can't really expect to feel good, it's major surgery, very major surgery!! Rearranging of your stomach, it's very serious and by no means should anyone take it lightly! Take it from me, I learned the hard way!!

Pamper yourself and get the proper rest and just know, you may not be able to get in everything right now, but every little bit helps and you will, you will, get there!!! Be encouraged!!! Take it slow and don't be so hard on yourself, I know it's scary, sometimes just a little bit will do you!! And then you'll be amazed as time goes by how much you will be able to get in, and when the weight starts coming off, you'll look back and say, "This is the best thing I could've done for myself"  God bless!

RNY 5/25/2011                        
roan1959
on 10/1/11 2:13 pm
this is totally normal for some people.  I was off work for 6 weeks, and even then I was still very tired and sore.  I developed an ulcer at 5 weeks out and got dehydrated. Ended up in the hospital for a few days.  As long as you can get in at least 40+ oz of fluid (and that includes your protein drink) you should be fine. I was getting so overwhelmed with everything, that my nut just told me to take the 2 mulit vitimans a day and not to worry about the other stuff until I got the fluids/protein thing working.I didnt get to 60 oz of protein until at least 4 months out!  If you feel neasuated, they can give you something for that, so calll your doctor.  I ended up taking Effexor to keep my emotions in check (and I stil take it).  This is a very emotional journey and some of us need more help than others do.  Dont be afraid to talk to your nut and doctors.  After about 5 months or so (I had an additional surgery for partial bowel obstruction at 4.5 months out), I began to feel better and better.  I was able to work in all my vitamins and protein.  And now 14 months out I am feeling great!  It takes some time, so dont rush yourself.  You know your own body better than anyone else.  Get up, walk around, then rest if you need to. Cry and scream if you want....it definately gets better so hang in there...                                  Joan
Become what you believe..........  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

*  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat        **BELOW GOAL**  
RoyzgIrl
on 10/2/11 3:33 am
Thanks to all *****sponded. I'm glad to know I'm not alone! I'm still weak, and had an extremely bad night with vomiting for hours, dry heaves hours after that. I think I'm going to go to the hospital to get checked for dehydration, I think that is a likely factor in my current state. Thanks again, I'm hanging in there but just barely.
RoyzgIrl
on 10/2/11 12:43 pm
Had to go to the Hospital today for iv fluids, found out I have a UTI so I am on antibiotics and pushing liquids for a few days. I'm hoping once I get the infection handled I won't be so weak. For now I'm drinking Powerade Zero and a little broth. I've been advised to skip the protein for a day or two until everything is working again and i'm not getting so sick.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 295 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics