Another Calcium Question

Stacy4442
on 10/2/11 11:48 am
I have been seeing gummy calcium supplements that are tricalcium phosphate.  My chemistry is really rusty and, sadly, my pharmacist didn't know if there was a difference between these and calcium citrate.  I am thinking that these are not an option.  Am I correct?

poet_kelly
on 10/2/11 11:50 am - OH
You are correct.  There is a BIG difference between tricalcium phosphate and calcium citrate.  You need a lot of stomach acid to break down the tricalcium phosphate to absorb it, but after RNY we have little stomach acid.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Stacy4442
on 10/2/11 12:01 pm
Thanks, Kelly.  Sometimes I wish I had you on speed dial.  I want to try the chewables, the soft ones that they have on Amazon but they are so expensive considering you would have to take so many a day.  I guess I will just stick to the citrical that I have been taking.

Thanks.

poet_kelly
on 10/2/11 12:04 pm - OH
Are you talking about the Calcet creamy bites?  They are yummy.  And expensive. 

Bariatric Advantages has had a deal on they chewy calcium bites lately, where you buy two bags, get one free.  You have to take six a day.  At their regular price they cost about as much per dose as the Calcet ones, but with this deal they are cheaper so I've been buying them for a while.  The caramel ones are really good.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 10/2/11 12:45 pm - Suffern, NY
try the bariatric advantage lozenges - they are 500mg each, so you would only have to take 3-4 per day and the cherry ones taste really good - like a sweet tart.  Then if you want to get some of the chewies - the raspberry ones are amazing - 250mg each, you can mix them in only a couple per day as a treat.

lilbear412
on 10/2/11 2:15 pm - MN
 thats really a bummer kelly cause i just ordered some of the chews and i didn't get free ones.  i think they sent me some other free stuff though.  I am in ND now and from MN so i have not actually seen what i got. lol  I also ordered a bag of the calcet chews the lemon ones..they were creamy like lemon and not to sweet so i thought i would get them to throw one in with the other ones once a day.  I have a few chocolate calcets but they are a *****oclatey to me...i ordered the carmel chewy ones also.  Do they taste like butterscotch to you?  I thought they tasted like that to me but i liked them.  I have tried the cinn. bariatric advantage chewable tabs and they were good but a bit strong so i think i will try the cherry ones next.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

poet_kelly
on 10/2/11 2:44 pm - OH
I think the caramel ones taste like that Bit o' Honey candy, if you remember that.  I don't know if they even make it anymore.

I like the chocolate Calcets in the freezer.  Tastes like a frozen candy bar.

lilbear412
on 10/3/11 1:34 pm - MN
 loved bit o honey. nummy.   can't wait to try them and will put the choc. ones in the fridge..thanks for the tip.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404