Surgery is less than 7 days away- how do I prepare?

andrea S.
on 10/3/11 4:03 am - PA
Okay so my surgery is on 10/10 and I am pretty excited!!!!

What should I do to prepare?
What should I have in the house?
What do I bring to the hospital?

Any suggestions?? Things that will help?

I keep thinking I will forget something!

Dave Chambers
on 10/3/11 4:33 am - Mira Loma, CA

Have authorized beverages or foods on your surgery protocol list for the first 2-3 weeks.  If you like bottled water, have plenty of that.  Try to get out all of the "nono" foods your surgeon doesn't want you to have--crackers, cookies, sodas, popcorn, chips, etc.  Bring minimum items to hospital. You'll only be there 2-3 days and if you bring a laptop, it may disappear before you get home.  WALK as soon as you can and WALK 2-3 times each day. This helps dissipate surgical gas and you'll feel much better.  Make sure you have someone to help you at home for the first week or so. You have no guarantee how pain, gas, drinking issues, etc. may affect you. You'll have lifting restrictions too, so taking care of small children can be an issue.  Usually the return home and first few days are uneventful, but it's better to have someone there to help if something becomes an issue.  DRINK your water--dehydration is the number one reason for readmission to the hospital. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 10/3/11 4:33 am - OH
To have at home:

Get samples of a bunch of different protein shakes at vitalady.com.

Get whatever food and drinks you'll be allowed to eat the first week or two.  Your doc should give you a list.  Look for stuff like broth, cream soups, yogurt (make sure you get ones low in sugar), sugar free pudding, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, crystal light, hot herb or decaf tea, etc.  But don't buy too much of anything - remember, one can of soup will make a few meals at first.

Get some little tupperware containers for leftovers.

Have tylenol and gas-x. 

A blender will be a big help in making protein shakes.

What to take to the hospital:

You might want chapstick and might want your phone.

Otherwise, they will have everything you need but take anything you think you'll really want.

Like, they will have toiletries, but I really wanted my own toothbrush and my hairbrush.  Don't bother with makeup or stuff like that, though.

You can wear your own clothes if you want.  You'll have to wear a hospital gown into the OR.  You will most likely have a catheter in for a little while afterwards, so you could wear a nightgown but not pajama bottoms.  You'll have an IV that might get in the way of a top.  You may also leak fluids from your incisions or otherwise mess up your clothes so I personally just wore the gown.  But if you feel you'll be a lot more comfortable in your own clothes, take them.

I took slippers, but they will give you those socks with nonskid bottoms, so just take your slippers if you really like them better than those sock things.

You're not gonna feel like doing much.  You'll mostly be sleeping or up walking.  You might want a book or something to read while you're waiting to go into the OR or if you can't sleep and get bored, but don't take a lot of stuff.  You won't need it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/11 4:37 am - RI
HI ANDREA!

First off, congrats!

Here is what I suggest you bring:

bathrobe (for walking around)

toothbrush + toothpaste (hospital usually supplies this, but it's not as good as the kind you
might use at home.)

LISTERINE STRIPS (you can find them in the oral hygiene aisle)... your breath will be horrid and that's what saved me!

pillow (or neck pillow)- trust me, the hospital pillows SUCK! I also brought a body pillow with me-- it helped with positioning to sleep (since it's very hard to sleep directly on your side).

Whatever you wear TO the hospital the morning of surgery will be your outfit home.. so wear BAGGY pants and a BAGGY shirt. Your incisions will be very sore and you don't want anything tight.

P.S. ALSO bring a pillow for the ride home. That extra cushion pressed against your tummy on the car ride home is a blessing!!! 

missravensmom
on 10/3/11 4:44 am
I am 6 days out and as far as preparing I just made sure that my house was pretty clean because I new family and friends would be over.  I had lots of water and SF popsicles.  I also had protein shakes in the house because I can not drive for 1 week. I had SF jello too.  I brought a bag to the hospital and in it was a brush, toothbrush, extra panties, and a pillow.  I wore the same clothes to the hospital and home.  Oh have some shoes to walk around in because I didn't want to walk in their socks and then get back in the bed.  Chapstick was good but I only used it once.  When you get to the hospital make sure they numb your skin before putting the IV in just in case they miss, and ask for versed (probably misspelled) but when they give it they could cut your toe off and you watch and not care.  that medicine is great.  I naturally ask alot of questions so don't be afraid to ask and question everything and anything. 

I know you are very excited and probably sick of your pre surgery diet but hang in there.  I wish you great luck!
Godgaveus2
on 10/3/11 5:11 am - WI
I am also having surgery on the 10th. Good Luck!
arbowman73
on 10/3/11 5:42 am - IN
Great Question!  I took the suggestions off of here being that my surgery is the 12th.... Best of luck to you!

andrea S.
on 10/3/11 5:49 am - PA
These are all great suggestions.... any information I can get is helpful! I like to be prepared!!
Sara L.
on 10/3/11 6:14 am
Hey Andrea,  my surgery is 10/12, so I'm right there with you!  Here's hoping we have quick easy recoveries.

I have been doing a little cleaning and reorganizing around the house....I have elevated the cat box and the cat's food and water so that I won't have to bend over to scoop and feed.  I'm sure I will be able to bend over a little, but it probably will be easier if the box is elevated. 

All of my laundry will be done, and I will have given everything in my kitchen away that doesn't fit in the new plan....flour, sugar, brown sugar, Vodka, Rum, Tequila etc.  So it's more about what's not in my house than what is in my house!  My freezer is empty, except for sugar free popsicles and some frozen homeade soups that I can puree for my puree stage next month.  I have purchased some small 2 ounce and 4 ounce plastic containers so that I can get used to smaller serving sizes and what they look like.  I have put away all of my dinner plates, brought the little ****tail size plates out in their place. 

Most of all, I have ordered protein samples from everywhere I can (chike won't ship to Hawaii)....vitalady, unjury and I will pick up some Bariatric Advantage at my doctor's office on Thursday.  I tasted some Isopure RTD at a support group meeting, so I will go to my local Vitamin Shoppe and get some of those along with whatever other single serve protein drinks they have in the case.  I want to have as many protein options as possible...everyone seems to suggest having lots of different types of protein to taste before investing in the large tubs that you may or may not like after surgery. 

I would get a cup with a lid to drink your protein shakes....the smell of the protein can be off putting on a normal day, after surgery when our sense of smell is intensified the smell could be more than you can take.  The shaker cups come with lids....obviously, but if you use a blender to mix it up with ice or whatever you will still want the cup with the lid.

I also have a bunch of crystal light flavors...I'm sure there are 20 more things I could add to this list, but it's long enough already!

Sara in Maui, where the liquid diet starts tomorrow.....

lilbear412
on 10/3/11 6:19 am - MN
 great questions...i prepared by having different types of flavoring for water and a few cans of broth, sf jello and i was not prepared at all for how smells in the house suddenly bothered me and made me feel sick to my stomach, and things like that..  Have your laundry done and maybe makes some meals for your family that they can pop into the microwave such as spaghetti sauce, or lasagna, etc..  my husband pretty much cooked for my daughter and himself the first two weeks and i hung out AWAY from their food smells.  lol  almost 3 weeks out those smells kind of didn't bother me anymore or i got used to them.    
I brought my own hair brush and toothbrush and toothpaste to the hospital.  I wore the clothes home that i wore into the hospital.  I took shampoo and undies also and my phone and charger.  Didn't really have much to do in the short time i was there but sleep and walk and drink.  I don't even recall watching much tv.  Oh and the tylenol kelly mentioned should be like in liquid form.  I couldnt' find liquid so i bought kids jr tylenol that melts in your mouth.  I have yet to use it but bought it in case i have a headache or something.  You will likely get sent home with some pain meds.  
good luck on  your surgery and keep us updated..

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 419 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 101 views
Forum Search Error & 404