People 3 months out and more

kevinj
on 10/3/11 6:58 am - NY
I know transfer addiction is a problem with us after surgery and I have it. I cannot stop drinking alcohol. I drink about 6 oz per night now. How many of you have this or have beat this (how did you do it)? It was easy when I had food to fall back on as my "crutch", but cannot seem to get through this. I normally have great will power (I quit smoking years ago after a 3 pack a day habit and quit drinking for 2 years ****il now)).

poet_kelly
on 10/3/11 7:04 am - OH
Maybe you already know this, but addiction is not just a lack of will power.  It's a pretty complicated disorder and it doesn't mean you're not strong or you don't have will power.

6 oz a night isn't terrible but this is the time to deal with it, before it gets worse.  No sense losing all this weight just to end up with liver disease, right?  The good news is, you're addressing it now instead of waiting until it gets worse, and there is lots of help out there for addictions.

Are you in counseling by any chance?  Ever been to AA?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DisneyLover
on 10/3/11 9:16 am - WI
Kelly is right.  Seek the help now before it gets out of hand. 

Besides finding someone to talk to have you thought about finding another crutch?  Running, walking or doing something else?

Sarah

Lisa R.
on 10/3/11 12:23 pm - CA
Good for you that you have the courage to admit it and post it here!  I really mean that, courage is a rare thing these days.

You might want to talk to your doctor and ask but 6 ounces a night doesn't seem that bad.  I don't know.  

I hurt my knee in July and I take Vicodin almost every day for pain, it is all I really can take.  Sometimes I worry that I might be cross addicted, but I don't think I am at this time.  I use it for pain and I only use it at night.  My doctor told me today that I was going to have to have surgery if I ever want to use my knee fully again and get rid of this pain, so after that happens I guess I will know if I'm addicted.  

In the mean time, for you, see a doctor, have your liver checked to make sure you have not done any harm and takes the steps to stop if you feel this is not the direction you want to be going in. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 421 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 211 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics