Why the RNY?

-Amanda-
on 10/5/11 5:31 am
Hello im searching around getting info on the
different surgery types, Can I ask why you all decided to go ith RNY?
Why not the DS?
Thank you,
ladyprof
on 10/5/11 5:38 am - Marion, AR
Well, it has the best track record and % of fat loss, plus my insurance only approves RNY or lap-band, and I knew I didn't do that.  I thought seriously about the sleeve (my surrgeon does RNY, sleeve, or band), but since insurance wouldn't cover it (it's considered experimental) that settled the question.  My surgeon said the RNY has been around long enough that they know what they're doing with it and if problems come up, they know how to fix them.

-Amanda-
on 10/5/11 5:58 am
Thank you , anyone else?
Susan_U
on 10/5/11 6:08 am - Ontario, CA
I chose RNY because it is the most restrictive.  I know myself--I can't have choices.   Yeah, yeah, there are work arounds--and I really don't want or need to hear about them.   I follow the restrictions and this tool will work for me.  

HW: 260  -  Consult: 241  -  SW: 239  -  CW: 206  -  GW: 140

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Will Rogers

AnneGG
on 10/5/11 6:11 am
I think it needs to be a personal choice based on lots of research and what you think will work the best for you.

That said, I am grateful for my RNY and the help it has given me with both my health and my weight.

DS and the sleeve weren't insurance options for me, and I'm glad I didn't get the band because of the complication rate.

100 lbs plus 30 lbs pre-op- gone. GERD, sleep apnea, and high cholesterol- gone.

I have a new lease on life at age 60.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

glzgowlass
on 10/5/11 6:29 am, edited 10/4/11 6:33 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
First, like most people, my insurance didn't cover it. (DS) It was specifically excluded (along with the sleeve)

I also think proper aftercare is very important and want someone reasonably local. No surgeon's locally do DS that I'm aware of.

Most of the people I know who have had RNY long term have not run into the issues experienced by some. They say they don't regret it for a minute and they wish they had done it sooner. They are NOT in the "honeymoon phase" I am talking about people who are 8-12 years out. They do follow all the right protocols and I think that is key.

If I don't reach goal or if I regain, I won't blame the surgery; I will blame myself.

I started off wanting the band but quickly changed my mind as there was more than a few people who had major issues with it.

Also, I see you have been researching for quite some time. What have you found out so far in your quest, and which surgery are you leaning towards and why?

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

inmyownskin
on 10/5/11 6:31 am - Westbury, NY
Well i had the band for 4 years, didn't quite work for me...my insurance doesn't cover the DS so RNY it is.  But honestly it was my 1st choice but I didn't do it because I was 21 at the time and 2 different surgeons I went to thought because of my age, the lap-band was the best option for me because of wanting to have children and because the felt the restriction would be enough.  Well it wasn't. I am scheduled for Oct. 17th and I could not be more excited.
HW: 293 SW (lap-band 2007): 280 Consult Weight: 264 CW: 214
SW (RNY 2011): 254 Personal GW: 150 Surgeon's GW: 140

Momx4kids
on 10/5/11 6:32 am - Abbotsford, Canada
My answer is similar to Anne's. I did my homework, went to my surgeon asking for RnY and after hearing my history, he agreed that RnY was the best surgery for me. I am extremely happy with my choice, and I am down 74 lbs in 4 1/2 months and have no more back spazams which held me back from working out!! I don't regret anything!
Rhonda

Dave Chambers
on 10/5/11 6:47 am - Mira Loma, CA
If you're self pay, then you can personally choose any wt loss surgery with any surgeon you choose.  Most insurance companies will do the RNY and the lapband without objections.  RNY has a very long history and a lot of medical data behind it, and to me that's comforting to know.  My wife had a wt loss surgery in 1980, and she had several repairs on that surgery--not much data around in 1980 about wt loss surgeries.  I belong to a big HMO group in my area, and they do the band, RNY and the sleeve surgeries, but not the DS.  Do your homework.  Each surgery has some issues you'll have to deal with post op.  I found minimal issues asjusting to my RNY.  You'll need daily supplments and routine lab work to check on vitamins, etc. in you body.  I'm happy with RNY.  There are a lot of surgeons in private practice and with HMO's that do RNY, sleeve and band surgeries.  You'll likely have to search for a DS surgeon. I know that my surgeon refuses to do the DS due to higher potential for post op issues.  Without compliance with post op protocol, you'll have more issues than normal.  Good luck. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

ahelen
on 10/5/11 6:55 am
There is a study going on at The Joslin Diabetes Hospital and Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston to research the effects of surgery or exercise/ nutrition on diabetes. I went to the informational session (and based on the research) decided that the RNY was the most effective. I knew that I would loose the most weight with this procedure and Brigham has one of the top surgeons in the country who would perform it. I had my surgery in Feb 2011 and I weighed 274 and today (October 5th) I'm 184. No more diabetes medication! It was worth it. I'm so grateful for this new lease on life and would do it all over again!

I wish you all of the best on your journey 

ahelen

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?