Yes, I KNOW, But Like To Complain!

wynter57
on 10/7/11 1:11 am - Panama City, FL
Hello everyone! This is probably a tired old subject to many, but let me ask if others have had this same experience.

When I went to my surgeons one month post op appointment I had lost 30.5 pounds which was AWESOME especially considering I was told that as a revision my weight loss would be SLOW.

Well, the SLOW part has kicked in because since then (3 weeks) I have only lost 5 pounds.

I know I had been on the famous or INfamous 3 week stall for about a week and a half then started losing again, but that loss has only been 5 pounds.

I am getting in all my protein, taking vitamins, etc. I eat mostly protein, with some veggies, very little carbs. I haven't been getting in as much walking as I should, so I need to get that going better.

I think my main mess up is not enough fluids. Not because I'm unable to drink because I have NO problems with drinking or eating, it's because everything to drink is either boring or I don't like it. I've tried a lot of sugar free drinks, Crystal Light and sugar free Hawaiian Punch, etc. I've tried various brand of DECAF iced tea and I don't like the taste. I even resorted to my regular iced tea and it's just tastes differen****er is getting SO boring as I've never been a big water drinker but I've forced myself to drink as much as I can, but still not what I need to be drinking.

I know all the reasons one needs to drink water and fluids, but will you not lose weight because you don't drink enough?? What is the science behind that if so??

Also, how many calories should one be eating at 7 weeks out? I know if you eat too many or too little it hinders weight loss, just not sure these days how many I should be getting.

Thanks!!
Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

Kathy B.
on 10/7/11 1:47 am - ME
I was told the fluids are necessary to help your body to rid itself of fat and toxins, thus lose weight. My doctor told me calories between 800-900 at 3 months was perfect.

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/11 1:47 am - Santa Cruz, CA
You're right, it's no news, so I won't address it.

The problem with not drinking is that you can, and will, become dehydrated.  This can be everything
from nausea to dizziness to falling over sideways and hitting your head and bleeding to death.
This is not good.  Find something to drink and then do it.

Don't worry about calories;  you can't possibly take in enough food to make that a big deal at this
time.  Just get your protein.  If you eat high fats or white (refined) carbs, that will be detrimental to
your weight loss, but if you do that right now it will probably make you sicker than a dog.

Good luck! 
Scherrie Tappin
on 10/7/11 2:21 am - CT
Hi wynter57,

Everyone loses at their own rate! Don't compare yourself to others, big mistake!  And you should know weight loss will slow down, it has to, or we'd be the "Incredible Shrinking People".  Your body has to catch up with the weight you are loosing. I think you are doing great!  I really don't get on the scale religiously anymore! I did get on today, but I haven't been on that thing for some time now.  Measure your weight loss with the way your clothes are fitting, or how fast you can walk now and not be out of breath, or how you feel after climbing stairs, etc.  The scale doesn't tell the entire story! Don't be defined by the numbers! How healthy do you feel?

As for the drinking, all I  drink after my morning coffees is water! It's the best thing for you! And it does aid in weight loss. I fill up my 24 oz. insulated cup with lots of ice and ice water and drink away, refill and drink again, again, again! You have to start slow and eventually you'll be in the habit of drinking your water.

Also, the protein is key...if not anything else you eat, the protein must be first!

God bless you! Keep us posted! You can do this!
        RNY 5/25/2011                        
InkdSpEdTchr
on 10/7/11 3:07 am
When you "lose" fat where do you think it goes? It doesn't just evaporate like magic, it has to be expelled as waste, how can you flu**** out if you're not drinking enough water to do so???

I know it's hard to get in that much water, it's boring, a pain, but if you want those lbs to come off- ya gotta force yourself.

Personally, I take a big bottle of Powerade Zero and toss the cap so that I can't put it away until it's gone. That takes care of almost half my intake right there. Then anytime I'm about to eat, I make sure to drink a glass of water. Oftentimes it's a struggle, but again ya just make it a habit and you will get used to it.

Good Luck, as this is very important- you def. don't want to be dehydrated, that is seriously no fun!

:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/11 3:56 am - Boston, MA
 It's important to drink as much as you can.. it can only help.  That said I have a very hard time drinking and at 7 weeks I was probably only getting in 15 oz.. it was really hard for me.. I finally got up to 30 oz and the past month I'm finally able to get in 50-60 oz.  I've lost 111 lbs in 6 months so I don't think not being able to drink has slowed my weightloss but if you can drink you should! my skin is super dry and I constantly feel thirsty I hate it.   I hate the taste of everything.. I would LOVE to be able to drink water but I just can't.  I exist on diet snapple iced tea and click and I use a straw.
Hillery82211
on 10/7/11 4:18 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I swear we must be twins because I could have written this post.  My weightloss has been CRAWLING the past two weeks.  I think my issue is fluids as well....I'm able to drink easier...I'm getting in the minimum of 64...but i'm not drinking what my body needs...pre-op i drank close to 150oz a day.  I'm working on getting back in that range and I'm sure my weightloss will speed up.

Here's a hug from someone that's right there with you in the same boat!
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
wynter57
on 10/7/11 6:17 am - Panama City, FL
Girl, we are twins! lol Surgery same day, except you can wear skinnier jeans than me!! lol

What is it you are drinking 64 ounces of?

Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

Hillery82211
on 10/7/11 7:42 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with

In the mornings, I drink 2 16oz mugs of tea (usually peppermint..sometimes cranberry to prevent UTIs).  I drink one while I'm getting dressed and another in a travel mug on my drive to work.

I drink 1-2 protein shakes made with 8oz of skim milk.  Since I make the shakes I can count each 8oz of milk as part of my fluids.  If I drink to ready make shake, I'm allowed to count 1/2 towards my fluids per my NUT.

While at work i try (key word try) to drink 2-20oz bottles of crystal light lemonaid mixed with water.  I can usually get one down and a little bit of the second and I try to finish the second duing my workout.

When I get home in the evenings, I'll drink a glass of light cranberry juice or light orange juice and mix them with water.

At bedtime, I drink a 16oz mug of sleepytime tea.  It helps me get the last of the chewable vitamins down and relaxes me for bed.

I can't do plain water, unless it has fresh lemon juice in it...then it goes right on down!  Plain water just sits in my pouch and makes me uncomfortable.  I find that warm fluids like the tea go down really easy without any problems...so I strated drinking more of it to increase the fluids.  I can't stand most of the crystal light flavors anymore (I drank them all the time pre-op) except the lemonaid.  Its weird but I think it has just the right amount of tartness that its not too sweet.  All the others that I have tried are WAY to sweet for my tastes.  Even the tropicana light organe juice is disgustingly sweet, hence why I cut it with water!

HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
waitingtoexhale69
on 10/7/11 7:45 am - IL
It's hard to get everthing you need to get in all the time everyday,  Especially when you have the small pouch.  Before surgery I was a huge water drinker, more than the average.  but know everthing is different.  Everyone says the weight will come off eventually, no matter what you do.  I don't know.  But like you mentioned why should the amount of water you drink affect you weightloss?  Like you I'm tired and fed up with all this flavored water as well.  The after taste is something to be desired.. Before surgery my favorite drink was Mc Donald's sweet tea, but because of the sugar I'm afraid to drink it I don't want to DUMP!So I don't know what to do.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 469 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 412 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 10 replies · 46 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?