Its hard finding the motivation to diet before the surgery.

maimeem71
on 10/9/11 2:28 am - ID

I have a three month waiting period at least before the surgery and another two months before it can be submitted to my insurance company. I am finding it hard to find the motivation to follow a diet and I have actually put on a couple pounds since I started the process.
Last night I decided that today is a new day and have started my day out right, but I have been here before and I need to stay focused until my surgery. I want this so bad I can taste it, but I guess dieting has always been my issue. I just need to stay focused for three months, I figure I owe myself that.
Has anyone had this problem and how did you do to stay on track before you could get your surgery?
Trish S.
on 10/9/11 2:47 am - Upstate , NY
Hi...I started my journey with weight loss surgery in June, and I too have to complete a six month supervised diet with my PCP.  It is difficult, but my surgeon gave me diet to follow for the six month duration.  I have lost 21 pounds and it really hasn't been too hard to do.  I think the thing that has helped me the most was  MyFitnessPal.com     It is a free website where you log every single thing that goes into your mouth....... When I saw how many calories, fat and carbs I was consuming.....it made me really search for more healthier ways of eating.  I put myself on a 1200 calorie a day diet and with MyFitnessPal......it has made my life much easier.  I bought The Michael Jackson Experience and Zumba for my Wii Fit and I exercise at least 3x a week.  (and It's fun!)   I am totally focused on my surgery....in fact it is now less than two months away!  I am ready!  Good luck with your waiting period and your great decision to have WLS.  We will soon be sitting on the losers bench together!!!  Keep your chin up and keep your eye on the prize!!!  It will be sooo worth it!

“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

maimeem71
on 10/9/11 6:39 am - ID

Thank you. I was really thinking about keeping a food journal to keep myself accountable.
Lisa R.
on 10/9/11 2:51 am - CA
I totally had this problem.  I remember my doctor's  office called to schedule my surgery, it was 3 1/2 weeks away and the nurse told me on the phone to immediately begin my pre op diet, which was pretty simple, just stay low carb.  Then the day before surgery go total liquid and take this stuff that makes you poop.  You think that would be easy enough right?  

Well I ate  like I was a convict about to hit the gas chamber.  I felt like every meal was my last and I had to take that one last chance to enjoy the foods I loved that I could never have again. 

Sitting here almost 6 months later, only 20 or so pounds from goal I wonder who that person was.  Why did I do that?  Because I was totally addicted to food, it was me attempting to say goodbye.  

My advice to you, try to break these habits and addictions now.  After surgery you are going to be forced to break them, but it might have been easier for me if I would have tried to work on my "mind" prior to the work being done on my body.  This surgery only fixes the body, it does not fix the mind.  I found that the mind is much stronger then my body every was.  You may not make good choices everyday, but you can make them as often as possible.  This will be good training for post surgery, you will have these issues after surgery as well.  The surgery does not take away our ability to choose the wrong foods.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
maimeem71
on 10/9/11 6:35 am - ID

I started to eat alot of things I liked to when I knew I had to start getting ready. Then I noticed my jeans were getting tighter and then I was like hey your already messing up. So I decided today was a new day and I was gonna try because I owe it to myself to give it my all.

I can't go to the local support groups because they are on the days I work and I know that could have helped me. Did seeing the weight drop help you stay focused? 
Diminishing Dawn
on 10/9/11 2:57 am - Windsor, Canada
I was approved in february but did not have surgery til July.

The best motivator for weight loss: To be both physically and emotionally ready for surgery.

I lost 30 lbs during that tome and because it was slow and steady I did not have to suffer and deny myself everything. Just needed to make small changes.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

AnneGG
on 10/9/11 4:24 am
Thank you for being such an inspiration!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

maimeem71
on 10/9/11 6:37 am - ID

How is it for you now the food choices I mean?
Lisa R.
on 10/9/11 7:06 am - CA
 Honestly, food choice can still be a challenge.  I have to keep certain foods out of my house, like cookies and cake.  I don't care much anymore for chips so that's good.  

After surgery your taste change.  For example, I loved fried chicken before surgery, now I think is takes kind of gross.  I hated watermelon pre surgery, hated it!  Now I love it, can't get enough of it if it's in front of me.

After surgery you will fill up so fast, and you crave things a lot less.  I can turn down so many things I feel I couldn't preop.  It's  hard to explain, it's just that food is not the comfort that it was pre op, so you start to lose interest.  

Yes, watching your weight go down is a big motivation.  Just take everything day by day right now.  But I will just say, eating tons of your favorite food pre op WILL NOT make it any easier to give it up post op!  Trust me on this one!  LOL  I know it for a fact!  

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Diminishing Dawn
on 10/9/11 7:06 am - Windsor, Canada
It is a challenge EVERY single day. The first few years were EASY in comparison with the psychological issues that come back with being long term out. Its fighting with your addiction.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 389 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 10 views