Starting 10 day liquid pre-op diet. Any Suggestions?

cdwilliams
on 10/8/11 1:40 pm - Huber Heights, OH
I get to start my liquid pre-op diet tomorrow.  Surgery on the 19th.  Any suggestions on what to eat/drink so I won't get bored. 

Chris

poet_kelly
on 10/8/11 1:56 pm - OH
Didn't they give you a list of things you can have?  Is it supposed to be full liquids or clear liquids?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cdwilliams
on 10/8/11 2:05 pm - Huber Heights, OH
Full Liquid.  THe list the dietician provided was not that extensive.  I was hoping folks may have found some commercial products or recipes they've tried that helped them avoid being bored with a liquid diet.  I've found many of the meal substitutes are just too sweet for my taste.  many of the protien drinks are way too sweet for me.   

Chris

poet_kelly
on 10/8/11 2:11 pm - OH
Well, full liquids usually include skim milk, protein shakes, broth, cream soups, yogurt, sugar free pudding, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, water, crystal light, decaf tea or coffee.  You'll need to try some different brands of protein shakes to find one you like, or at least like enough.  If you don't like sweet, you could try the Unjury chicken soup.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sara L.
on 10/8/11 3:10 pm
I am totally with you on the sweet thing....I have found the powders are less sweet than the RTD protein shakes. 

I like Unjury chicken soup, Jay Robb Chocolate and Strawberry but not the vanilla.  I am loving the Nectar Cappuccino, two a day.  

It's funny how some people like some shakes and others despise them.  Try a bunch of different kinds, I was truly surprised at my own reaction, some I love, some I can tolerate and some go down the drain.

Vitalady.com sells samples packs of protein for $1.99 each, it's a good way to test before you order larger quantities. 

My local Vitamin Shoppe will take back protein if you buy it and you don't like it, just keep your receipt.  Ask first, I have read that some Vitamin Shoppes don't offer this convenience.  There are ready to drink shakes in a cooler at my Vitamin Shoppe, Cytosport (haven't tried), Isopure Zero Carb and Smoothies and a few others.  You can buy just one, no need to buy a case of any given flavor.  Try them all, if you can!

I have been taking a sip of water everytime I have felt hungry, so I feel well flushed out at the moment!  The head hunger thing has come out too.....time to get a handle on that!

I hope you have an uneventful hospital stay, and the speediest recovery!

Sara in Maui

Blondie76
on 10/8/11 9:55 pm - AL
What's been saving me is cottage cheese (allowed on my plan) and chicken broth. I'm sick of sweet but try for a protein shake a day. There's really not a lot of variety unless you play with your shake flavors. Personally, I think powders taste the best but everyone is different. Just remember, its mind over matter and you can do this!!!
dasie
on 10/8/11 11:11 pm
I could have any liquid as long as it did not contain solids.  If I ate creme of mushroom, I had to strain the mushroom bits.  I drank my shakes, juice broth, soups...all day long.  We could not exceed 1000 calories per day and had to get 100 grams of protein per day.  We had to limit sugar to under 5 per drink and carbs under 10...as best I can recall.  It was 2 years ago.  I found if I got hungry, I would take chicken bullion and make a cup of broth, and that really helped.  It was not as bad as I thought it would be, and I was really pumped and excited about my surgery.  Best wishes to you!

Ra*Mona* W.
on 10/9/11 1:52 am
I saw my doctor for the first time and he put me on a diet and I'm confused will I remain on it until surgery or will it be changed or I'm not exactly sure how it all works but what I do know is he wants me on this one for 2 months and wow what a difference in lifestyle it's already making I had to throw out everything and I get 2 protien shakes a day and one meal with 4 oz of meat of my choice and steamed veggies without starch, or I can have a serving of salad, with meats.  No carbonated liquids of anykind and the only time I get milk is when I make my shakes.  Has anyone else had this kind of diet from their doctors?

Hungry but motivated to make this work...Mona :)
cdwilliams
on 10/9/11 2:23 am - Huber Heights, OH
I've tried several of the protien shakes (powders) some have been pretty good.  The bottled shakes/smoothies by isopure were a little sweet for my taste.  I did find some unflavored that I'm going to try with V8 or other vegi juices.  I've tried a few of the protien soups and they have been pretty good but stopped because of the noodles,   I didnt think about straining out the mushrooms or noodles .  How about if I put it in my vitamix and blend the heck out of it so there aren't any solid bits.   WDYT?

Chris

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?