2.5 Weeks Post Op and No Control- Roux en Y

E_Williams_Floyd
on 10/9/11 4:15 pm - Pueblo, CO
Hello All,

I have not been able to stick to a pureed diet, nor am I able to eat slowly. I overate twice and it was the worst. I want to be successfi\ul but I honestly feel like I don't have any control over my actions.

I've experienced zero pain related to the procedure. It's almost as if I didn't have the surgery. I need help.
poet_kelly
on 10/9/11 4:27 pm - OH
Can you say some more about why you have not been able to stick to a pureed diet or eat slowly?

Are you in therapy?  Because you're right, you need help. 

Have you talked to your surgeon or dietician about this?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

truckingbride
on 10/9/11 4:52 pm - Harriston , Canada
what if every night before bed you prepared your whole next days food according to your post op diet you were given and put it all in the fridge in a container or something, then you know once that days food is gone, that is all your gettting....so that your not snacking or rooting through the fridghe like the old times before.
Maybe you need to put a shiny bracelt or something on your wrist so when you bring your hand to your mouth you notice and it makes you think or signals you to stop  and think about whqt you are about to put into your mouth.. no one wants to see u fail at this point. What about calling your nurse in the clinic and talking to her and see if you can get into the social worker or something soon so this doensnt get out of control.
just remember u are worth it and you can do it...
Monique A.
on 10/9/11 5:31 pm
My surgeon had me off of pureed foods 3 weeks after surgery. I thought that would put an end to my hunger but it didn't. It wasn't until I had two really nasty episodes of food getting stuck and well, that was enough for me not to want to experience it again.
I cleared out all my trigger foods from my house and filled it with food requirements and healthy choices . My surgeon uses the 5/5/5 rules which mean no more than 5 carbs, 5 fats and must have at least 5 protein per item so I do not buy foods that don't meet these requirements. Also, make sure you are getting your protein supplements and drinking your water......I am struggling with the water but I am doing my best. Since sticking to the rules, I have experienced much less hunger in the last week.

Susan_U
on 10/9/11 6:09 pm - Ontario, CA
You need to take control of your actions. No one can do it for you.  Period.  It is all up to you--the surgery is just a tool.  Many of us--myself included--have experience little or no pain.  What keeps you on track is the determination to succeed and to follow your surgeon's guidelines.

1.  Weigh your food.

2.  Take small bites and put down the fork or spoon between bites.

3.  If you need to, get baby or toddler utensils which are far smaller,

4.  Take the time to really chew your food, even the soft or pureed.

5.  Use a saucer for your plate so the amount you're eating doesn't seem so tiny if you need to.

6.  30 minutes after you eat begin sipping your water and keep doing so.  You can also use SF Popsicles,  Or flavor your water with Crystal Light.

7.  Make sure to get your protein in everyday. 

8.  Keep a food diary to track your eating.

9.  Attend a support group as well as using this site.

10.  If you need to, seek help from a therapist. 

You can do it!

HW: 260  -  Consult: 241  -  SW: 239  -  CW: 206  -  GW: 140

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Will Rogers

mrslatch
on 10/9/11 10:39 pm - Fort Campbell, KY
But you ARE in control of your actions. You need to step it up. Why would you go through all of this just to keep the same habits and remain fat and unhealthy? YOU have to change something or this tool will not work for you.

Get all of the crap and junk OUT of the house. If it isn't there, you can't eat it.

Plan your meals out the night before or in the morning as you sip your water.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

AnneGG
on 10/9/11 11:04 pm
Please please be gentle with your new surgery and give it a chance to heal!!!

You are in control of your actions- you are choosing not to be. Are you going to be a vote for success or failure for yourself?

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

E_Williams_Floyd
on 10/9/11 11:11 pm - Pueblo, CO
I havee three kids, and a husband. I prepare meals for all of them and clean the kitchen part of the time. I like the idea of pureeing the foods the day before but that's more work on top of the tons of work I already do. Did I mention I am a junior trying majoring in Business with an imphasis is ACCOUNTING.

I'm stressed and it seems I don't have time for me. i can't afford therapy as my insurance conveniently ended the month of my surgery. I'm TIRED and STRESSED OUT! I haven't been exercising either. I don't comoplain often, but I am worried and I need to talk to someone/anyone. Thanks for listening.
mrslatch
on 10/9/11 11:40 pm - Fort Campbell, KY
I totally understand that you are overwhelmed and have a lot going on, but so do a lot of other people. You can either keep letting life be your excuse or take control. I know I have come too far to let a cookie order me around. You HAVE to make time for you, even if it is only 10-15min to get your food set up. Also keep in mind that the pureed stage doesn't last forevery. This is only a step on the path to success. BUT, you will not be successful 2 years, 3 years out when hunger returns, you stop malabsorbing, and you can eat almost 'normal' if you don't change your lifestyle NOW during the "I can pretty much do anything and still lose weight stage". This isn't a diet, this is a totally new lifestyle. You can have awesome long term results if you make the changes nessicery and use your tool. If not, sure, you will loose a good deal of weight even if you aren't doing the right things, but you WILL gain it all back and be right back where you were before you realize it.

Do this for you, do this for your 3 kids, and do this for your husband. They deserve to have you around, and you deserve to life life to the fullest. You can do this, you just have to take control.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

Laura in Texas
on 10/10/11 1:52 am
"You can either keep letting life be your excuse or take control."

Well said. I'm a single mom of 2 with NO baby-daddy. I could have easily made excuses and not gotten to goal, but thankfully I learned to work through the stress to become a healthier me. My kids deserve no less.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views