Dumping with Back Pain?

wynter57
on 10/10/11 5:45 am - Panama City, FL
Saturday night, I ate a little bit of Sugar Free Reduced Fat ice cream. (I just felt like having something sweet as I mostly eat protein, so thought this would be good).

Within a couple of minutes of finishing it, I started having pains in my back, then felt kind of hot and stomach cramping and then diarrhea. It took about 15 minutes to pass, but it was scary because I had not had any dumping experience before and did not know what to expect or how long it would last.

I have seen many posts about dumping but I don't remember anyone ever saying anything about pain in their back.

Is that unusual?

Also, if one dumps now does it mean they dump forever or does it not last forever for some people?

Thanks.
Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

Dave Chambers
on 10/10/11 6:09 am - Mira Loma, CA
Not sure about your back pain is related to dumping. Maybe the stomach cramping caused you to  bend your bank strangely. I've only dumped 3 time since my RNY.  Nausea, heavy perspiration, anxiety, rapid heart beat, feeling really hot were my symptoms.  Some have diarrhea too. But this is the first post I can remember in 5 years that talk about back in in regards to dumping. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

wynter57
on 10/10/11 6:23 am - Panama City, FL
I know, it was so weird. My back started hurting and then immediately the cramping and feeling hot. I did not perspire badly, just felt kind of hot and crampy.

I don't know why I have to have everything be so weird. I had rib pain for the first 5 weeks after surgery, my very experienced surgeon said he has NEVER had a patient complain about their ribs hurting before me. Thankfully it finally went away, but it's frustrating when you have something happen and no one can help because no one else seems to get that same symptom.

Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

Pholaris
on 10/10/11 6:27 am
Not sure about the back pain either, but is possible that it was related, especially if it went away when the other symptoms subsided.

On regards to dumping, some people pnly dump for X ampount of time and get over it, some people are forever sensitive to sugar, some people don't dump at all.

I don't normally dump, but if I drink milk I do. All since surgery.
Pregnancy%20ticker
Ladytazz
on 10/10/11 8:08 am
I can see the back hurting with dumping.  My stomach hurts and I could see how it would radiate.
As far as getting better, I have heard some say it does and some say it doesn't.  My sister had her RNY 9 years ago and she said it has gotten a lot better.  What is weird for me is the inconsistancy.  One day I can eat something and it is fine and the next I can eat the exact same thing and dump.  I've had some things I have eaten for a while and then it affects me.  No rhyme or reason to it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

waitinggame
on 10/10/11 9:13 am - Bowie, MD
Do you have your gallbladder? My friend suffered with radiating back pain when she had her gallbaldder attacks. I'm just not sure what would have caused you to dump with the sugar free, unless you dump on fat, then if that is the case, then I'd think you'd also have consumed enough fat to cause a gallbladder attack.  Just something to think about.

Hope you figure it out!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

wynter57
on 10/10/11 12:17 pm - Panama City, FL
Hello there Denise! Actually, I had my gallbladder removed back in 1989 when I had my first WLS. So, that wouldn't be the issue, but it's weird because the pain in my back started right before the cramping started.

Since I've never dumped before, I am assuming that is what happened. But it's weird that no one else has reported the back pain part except for me? My luck I guess.

Thanks for your help.
Wynter

waitinggame
on 10/10/11 1:01 pm - Bowie, MD
Okay, so no gallbladder. Are you lactose intolerant? Any history of ulcers? My friend that had the gallbladder also had an ulcer (yes, she has bad luck!) with the same type symptoms--the radiating back pain with cramping and stomach pain.

Hope either it doesn't happen again or that you figure it out!!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

wynter57
on 10/10/11 1:19 pm - Panama City, FL
Me too Denise! I haven't had it happen with anything else or since, so I am really not thinking it's an ulcer.

Also, I don't think that I'm lactose intolerant as I have no problems with cheese or stuff with milk in it.

Hope you are recovering well from your plastic surgery!

Wynter

Momx4kids
on 10/10/11 7:07 pm - Abbotsford, Canada
I had a similar back pain like that after my surgery and the only thing we could think of at the time was a possible bowel spazam.
Rhonda

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 526 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 327 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 27 views