vitamins

ccrooker99
on 10/11/11 5:32 am - Altamont, IL
I was wondering what all kinds of vitamins everyone is taking?  I am currently thinking of taking a B-Complex and was wondering if I should or not..??
~~Carla~~            
Ramie A.
on 10/11/11 5:45 am - Bronx, New York, NY

What other vitamins are you currently taking?  Also, have you had any blood work done recently?  A lot of what you take and how much depends on how your individual body absorbs vitamins.

There are also lots of posts on vitamins, so you can probably get more information that you want by just doing a search.

Good luck!

Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

ecshumway
on 10/11/11 6:37 am - NY
I take Fusion, 4 tablets a day and that's it.

poet_kelly
on 10/11/11 7:09 am - OH
Then you are not getting anywhere near the vitamins and minerals you need.

The ASMBS says we need 200% of the RDA of most stuff.  Four Fusion only gives you 100% of many things.  You'd need a day to meet the ASMBS guidelines.

We also need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate a day.  Four Fusion only has 1200 mg calcium, and some of that is calcium carbonate, which we cannot absorb.  so you are not getitng near enough calcium.

You'll also need B12.  You will not absorb the B12 in the Fusion because you lack intrinsic factor in your pouch.  You need a sublingual, nasal spray or shots.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ecshumway
on 10/11/11 7:18 am - NY
Cool I'll check into this Thanks

poet_kelly
on 10/11/11 5:46 am - OH
Here's what the ASMBS says you should start with:

A multi with 100% of the RDA of most nutrients.  Take two a day.  Stay away from kids' vitamins and gummy vitamins, because those will not have what you need.  Even though Flintstones says “complete" on the bottle, they really are not complete.  They recommend a multi with iron.  If you take a multi with no iron, you’ll need additional iron at a separate time.  They say to start your multi as soon as you get home from the hospital.

1500-2000 mg calcium citrate.  Make sure it's citrate, not carbonate.  That means no Caltrate and no Viactiv.  They say you can wait up to one month to start your calcium – not that you should wait, just that you can.

18-27 mg iron for menstruating women, unless your labs show you need more.  (If you’re using a multi with no iron, that would mean you’d need 54-63 50 mg iron.)  We absorb carbonyl iron better than ferrous sulfate.  Ferrous sulfate will also make you constipated.  They say to start your iron as soon as you get home from the hospital.

B12.  You can use a sublingual, 350-500 mcg per day, a patch once a week, nasal spray once a week, or shots once a month.  Unless your labs show you need more.  They say you can wait up to three months to start your B12 – not that you should wait, just that you can.

They say a B complex is optional.

In addition to these things, I take vitamin C with my iron, D3, vitamin A, zinc and magnesium oxide.  The C is to help with absorption of iron, the D3, A and zinc are because my labs indicated I needed more, and the magnesium oxide is to help with constipation.  I don't take a B complex because everytime I get labs done, my B1, B6 and B9 are all good - in fact, my B6 is slightly high.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

glzgowlass
on 10/11/11 7:03 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I don't see in my binder when I get my first labs done.  That's another question I should ask on Thursday at my one month appt.  I think it's at the 3 month point, am I right?

Also, just to make sure I get a proper check, what should they looking at?

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

poet_kelly
on 10/11/11 7:07 am - OH
There is not an official answer to that question.  Most docs do labs every three months for the first year and that seems good to me.  After that, many docs just want to do them once a year, and I think a whole year is to long to go in between.  I do mine every six months.

Here is the list of what I get done.  Some docs routinely order much less than this and you have to specifically ask for other things.

CMP
Lipid Profile
CBC with differential
B12
Bili-direct
Ferritin

Iron/TIBC

PTH
Magnesium
Folate
Thiamine (B1)

B6

Vitamin E

Vitamin K
Uric Acid
Vitamin A

Vitamin D (25 hydroxy)

Zinc
Phosphorus
Copper

Selenium

Prealbumin

glzgowlass
on 10/11/11 7:37 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Thanks, I'll keep this list.

glzgowlass
on 10/11/11 7:00 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
It was emphasised to me how important vits were at my surgeon's office.  They gave us a list of vits to take and not take.  The "not" list included calcium carbonate and gummies.

They have different specs depending on type of wls.  They ahve started me with the following:

multi 2x/day (I take centrum)
1500mg of calcium citrate to be taken 500 x3/day
sublingual B12 every other day (1000mg)
B50 complex.  (this seems more potent than Bcomplex)  Guess they don't wan't me low on the b vits!
dry Vitamin D3
Iron (i take at night to avoid taking with the calcium)

I also have a script to help avoid gall stones (uridosol) 

and a prilosec.

Crickey!  It's a lot.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 350 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views