X POST OLDIE ASKING QUESTIONS

jilliecats
on 10/15/11 5:51 am

I am finally getting myself fixed all up with stuff at the doctor. I have been back on regular supplementation as far as vitamins go for two or so years and my blood work is fine, except anemia, the ferritin level has been as low as 2.2, but runs about 8, which is low, but that is as good as it gets.

90% of the time when I eat, it gets stuck and I have to erp it up. I have tried everything, eating slow, eating different foods, preparing food different ways, you name it. Well, I finally got referred to the gastroenterologist and they did an esophagram. A couple different times the tech said excitedly, "Did you feel that?" Nope both times. It was a reflux action that had barely hit before it jumped right back up my pipe. Well, of course the doc hasn't called back and I am anxious. But my real question/statement is that they told me my stomach was teeny tiny. Now, I had RNY 1-28-2004 and my stomach is still the size of a quarter?????? How could that be? Also, since I am basically not eating anything since it comes back up before it digests, why do I weigh 155 lbs instead of like 90 lbs or something?

Any stories to reassure me or even to scare me. Hell, I just want to be somewhat in the know before I go to the doc again.

Thanks!!!

Also, since I am asking questions, I am in process of getting dentures. Because of my dumb lack of compliance, I lost all my teeth. I guess this is more like a statement than a question, but please take your damn calcium!!

Thanks again!!

Jilliecats          

BugdocMom
on 10/15/11 6:24 am - CA
I am a newbie myself so I can't offer you any advice or stories to help you prepare for your conversation with your doctor. But, I just want you to know your warning about calcium is now on my mind. I just got up and took my calcium before responding...

I hope you solve your reflux issue and are able to eat more comfortably soon. Let us know how things are going when you talk to your doc.
Michelle E.
on 10/15/11 12:58 pm
I have low iron too.. Mine went from 4.4 to 11.. still working on it.. I will keep up on the calcium..
Thankfully you are 155 instead of 90.. I hope everything goes well on your next appt.. maybe they should consider reversing your RNY?
Debbiejean
on 10/15/11 1:04 pm - Shelbyville, MI
jilliecats,
Hi, I remember you!
The reason you weigh 155 pounds and not 90 is because you are still absorbing the calories (even if you "erp" up some)
The question is...what are you eating? how fast? Calories in and calories out.
If you really are throwing up all the food you are eating, your body is in confusion. It's hanging on to whatever it can grab a hold of.  So regardless of you "erping" I think your body is still getting some calories too.
How about some EAS protein shakes, drink it on plenty of ice and just sip. It's very tolerable.
You don't want to go on TPN for nutrients.
I'm also glad you posted about the importance of calcium. All vitamins are important to us, we will never be normal. People have to realize that, even with regain...they have to take vitamins always, for the rest of their lives.
If you want/need to lose more weight, really...eat more or drink more protein shakes so your body is saying to itself "hey I'm eating again" and won't be so confused. Good luck. Hugs Debbie
dasie
on 10/15/11 11:03 pm
Who told you it was the size of a quarter.  If it was the tech...I would personally discount that until the doctor confirms that.

I hope this is resolved for you soon.  Please re post as I am very interested to hear what the outcome il.

jilliecats
on 10/16/11 12:29 am
It was the tech.  I will see the doc tomorrow.  I will re post when I get the answers!

Jilliecats          

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 374 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views