Calcium and Multi Question

allicole1235
on 10/17/11 11:10 pm - Chesapeake, VA

I went to a few stores over the weekend to purchase my vitamins and It so overwhelming and I felt like I couldn't find anything. What do you take/where can I buy?

For calcium I was at Walgreen's and next to the Citracal was a Walgreen's brand version. Its 630mcg calcium citrate and 400 IU Vit D. Has anyone used this and would it be okay or is there something better?

For Multi I could not find anything at Walgreen's. I saw the centrum everyone talks about but I couldn't figure out which since there are a million different ones. All the multis I found didn't say anything about RDA and I know we need a multi with 100% just not sure how to tell that. I ended up getting the Flintstones. I didn't know why I was just frustrated with looking at everything and not understanding. I thought I was prepared. Anyways I can return the Flintstones.

Just confused, please help....

Dave Chambers
on 10/17/11 11:23 pm - Mira Loma, CA

There are many sources for multi's and calcium citrate.  Each bottle of vitamins should by law have a label that shows specific amounts of each vitamin in each one or two pills (dosage) and the comparable RDA levels.  Your total of most vitamins should be 200%. This may require you to take 2-3 vitamin pills daily.  Any calcium citrate is ok. I did find that these calcium citrate pills are "horse pill" sized and may be difficult for some to swallow. I initially tried cutting these down, but the jagged edge from the cut made them more difficult to swallow.  I have an easier time with the calcium citrate from vitalady.com , as these are in capsules, with smooth edges vs the ridges of pills.  You'll need a dry D3 to get your D levels up where they should be. I get these from vitalday also.  I'd start with 3 of the 50K IU dry D3 per week, taking one every other day.  50K levels of dry D3 are not easily found at your local stores by any means.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

jkay05
on 10/18/11 12:15 am
I have been dealing with the vitamin hunt for about two weeks now. It got me to the point of " i need a drink" and I'm not much of a drinker.LOL We dont have fancy stores here its pretty much walmart and walgreens. All calcium that I have found is carbonate if chewable or disolvable..Like how hard is it to make it in the form I want!! I found Iron and sublingual b-12 "spring valley" at Walmart. and I found multi centrum chewables 100 tabs in Walmart. I have yet to find Calcium citrate but from online like bariatric advantage or celebrate...bariatric advantage are cheeper. I'm thinking vitalady has some ...but I'm so lost from looking all around. Good luck!

Sharyn S.
on 10/18/11 12:34 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Multi:
Equate Mature Multivitamin A Thru Z Adults 50+ Tablets Dietary Supplement - 220 Ct

Calcium:
Citrical: Citrical Calcium Citrate Petites With Vitamin D Tablets Calcium Supplement, 200 Pk

Vitamin D:
Spring Valley High-Potency Vitamin D-3 1000 IU, 100 Soft Gels Twin Pack

Vitamin C:
SV VIT C 500MG TWIN PACK

Iron:
Feosol Iron Supplement Therapy, Carbonyl Iron, 45mg, Caplets

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

lilbear412
on 10/18/11 12:52 am - MN
 Go to Bariatric Advantage and  Celebrate and both places have a form you can fill out to get free samples.  I like the chews from bariatric advantage and the lemon and chocolate calcet chews also.  The calcets are 500 and you would need to take 3 - 4 a day.  The little carmel and chocolate chews are much cheaper but only 250 each.  I mix them up.  Some day i hope to find something i can swallow but right now these are my "candy".  lol  Oh and i just had a sample of the berries and creamplus 500 calciums from Celebrate and they are awesome.   I take the Centrum silver chewables for my multi and at CVS i got these really yummy b12 sublinguals and they are natures bounty 500mcg..  I am taking these DOTs i found at vitamin shoppe for D3 and they are 1000 iu's but i just recently ordered some new ones  from amazon.  These Dots are ok but are a bit tart for me.  So i ordered new ones.. Also, i just ordered iron in the carbonyl form.  I need to start that too.   RETURN the Flintstones and look or Centrum silver or the generic brand chewables.  They are pretty good.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

poet_kelly
on 10/18/11 7:38 am - OH
I don't think I've ever seen a multi that did not tell you what percent of the RDA of stuff it had.  Maybe you were looking at the wrong place on the label?  It should list the vitamin, then how much of the vitamin is in it, then a percentage.  Like this:  Vitamin D  400 IU  100%

Any calcium citrate is fine.  Generic is fine.

Take back the Flintstones because they do NOT have everything you need in them.  Regular Centrum is fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 772 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 384 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 502 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 235 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?