Old Fashioned Way

Robert P.
on 10/18/11 1:57 am - Pelham, AL
I started a 468 before surgery on March 6, 2008, and lost down to 258 in 18 months.  Things were breezing along great until I developed an anal fissure that required a horrific surgery.  That got me off my workout schedule and right after that I developed a perineal abscess that also required a painful surgery.  Both of those really beat me down and got depressed just laying around.

During the year after the first of those surgical repairs, my food cravings returned for the first time, and with a vengence.  My old, lousy eating habits came back, and I was eating everything in sight.  I got back addicted to sweets and carbs, and would eat them right through the queasiness.  A month ago, I weighed for the first time in forever, and had put a full 30 lbs. back on.  My clothes were fitting tight, and I was in danger of having to go buy "fat" clothes.

I finally got the will to start logging my food again, cut out all fried food, useless carbs and sweets, and have kept myself below 1000 calories.  One month later, I'm within 4 lbs. of my lowest weight, and have no cravings again for the sweets.  The hunger pains that had returned 2 years after surgery, have disappeared again.  I'm astonished how quickly I completely reverted to my old self.

I know that I've stretched my pouch and stoma.  I do feel some restriction, but not that much, and I have to be very conscious of the feeling to detect it.  At this point, I'm having to lose my final 50 the old fashioned way, with little help from the bypass.  Still, I plan to make my goal, and I learned extremely valuable lessons about deviating from the plan.
High 468 / Surgery 433 / Current 243/ Goal 219
Cleopatra_Nik
on 10/18/11 2:07 am - Baltimore, MD
Good for you! I don't get the post title but I'm glad you're back on track.
SweetLilyAnn
on 10/18/11 2:12 am - TX
Wow Robert. Thank you for your post. I think that you are brave and are doing an amazing job.

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

raesan
on 10/18/11 6:08 am - WI
OMG what a inspirational post. You must feel very proud. I am only a few months out.After a lifetime waltz with sugar and simple carb dependence, I am fearful of future re-addictions. Now, My determination to keep my problem in control, has been reinforced. Thank you for sharing your problem, and your solutions.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views