Need advice from anyone who has had kidney stones

Kristi D.
on 10/20/11 12:01 am - Buffalo, NY
So, I was diagnosed at the ER with a kidney stone on Sunday afternoon.  The doctor said that the stone was right near the entrance to the bladder so it should pass fairly quickly.  They sent me home with a script for Loratabs and told me to follow up with a urologist as soon as possible.  So I saw the urologist on Tuesday and he said his x-ray showed that the stone was still in the same spot.  He gave me a script for Flomax and a new script for Loratabs and wants to see me again next week. 

So, I have been in horrible pain for the past 5 days and I am getting to the point where I don't know if I can take it any more.  I have a few more Loratabs left, but I will need a refill to get me through the weekend before my appointment next week but I am afraid to call the urologist and ask for a refill again.  I don't want to seem like I am drug seeking or somethiing, but I don't know what else to do.  I have never felt pain like this in my life!!  How long do stones usually take to pass?  I read somewhere that it can take up to 4 weeks.  Is that true?  I don't think I can do this for 4 more weeks!!!

Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.   

Kristi

HW:276   SW:255   CW:201  LW:165  GW:140

mjst220
on 10/20/11 12:34 am
In my experience with 5 of the nasty boogers, drink LOTS and LOTS of homemade lemonade from fresh squeezed lemons. The acid helps to lube the tubes and pass the stone. Tea I am told will make them worse. I really am not sure on that but I know for a fact that the lemonade helps. Prayers for you to pass that stone soon! They hurt like hell!
Kristi D.
on 10/20/11 6:41 am, edited 10/20/11 6:41 am - Buffalo, NY
How do you make homemade lemonade?  I did buy some store bought pre-made lemonade becasue I read somewhere that it can help.

Kristi

mjst220
on 10/20/11 10:13 pm
I usually do it by the glass. Like 2 lemons to 8 oz water and a splenda
emt_amy
on 10/20/11 12:35 am - MN
I've had 2 that were diagnosed and prolly many more undiagnosed. They pretty much go when they want to. The flomax will help. Are they having you try to catch it? I also used heating pads to try and relax the area. Keep drinking lots of water, its pretty much the easiest way to get rid of em.
For the pain killers all you can do is call and ask, the worst thing they will tell ya is no.

Sorry that you are in pain, I feel for ya.

D-J
on 10/20/11 12:42 am
i was sent home with a little screen thingy to pee in,,,their nasty looking little boggers too,,not like a stone at all,,more like a spikey crystal,,ask your doc for the refill,,if he says no and the pain is unbarable go to the er,,they will automatically morphine you up knowing its a kidney stone,,been there done that,...
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 1:20 am - Boston, MA
 Don't be afraid to ask for more pain meds!! You should not have to suffer, if they say no then I'd see a second doctor or go to your PCP you have a diagnosis they can see the stone they know you have to be in pain.  I really hope it passes quickly for you, best of luck and feel better.
Kristi D.
on 10/20/11 1:40 am - Buffalo, NY
Yes, I am drinking a ton of water and they did give me a "strainer" so that they can analyze the stone once it passes.  But I am also afraid that it will pass and I won't see it.  Although, I guess it will be big enough for me to notice.  However, my biggest fear is being able to get more pain meds to get through the weekend.  I saw them on Tuesday and they only gave me three days worth, so I will never make it all weekend wothout more.  I just hate calling a doctor to specifically ask for narcotics.  I feel like they are judging me or something.

Thanks for all the responses.  I hope this passes soon and I won't have to worry about getting through the weekend!!

Kristi

sthepworth
on 10/20/11 3:27 am
Take it from me. I have hundreds of kidney stones. I pass around 30-50 a year. Some at home on very high pain meds, some I have to have 'caught' and pulled out (uretroscoped), while others need blasted (lithotripsy). Call your Urologist and tell him that you are tired of being in pain and on pain meds and you would rather have them just remove it instead of more pain meds. The procedure is painless (you're put out) and unless they leave a stent in, you only have minor (especially compared to previous pain) achy pain that will go away w/in 24 hours. If they leave a stent in- well people either 1. can't even tell they're in or 2. hurt like he77! If they plan on leaving a stent in ask them to leave a string on the end. That way, if you are one of the people that it hurts like crazy, you can pull it out yourself (not very comfortable, but waaaaay better than the stone pain OR stent pain). Feel free to email me if you have any other questions. [email protected]

BTW All ER docs will treat you like you are a drug seeker. Even with MY history they still treat me like that.

Ps Kidney stones can take MONTHS to pass, and the longer they're causing pain, the greater the chance they have to cause infection. VERY bad.
Together In Faith            
hellokitty21
on 10/20/11 6:21 am
 I also had to go to the ER for a kidney stone after myRNY...the pain was horrific. As far as the pain meds go, do you have a PCP? You may be able to get a script from them without having to worry about being labeled. I feel so bad that you are in such bad pain..I really hope it passes soon!!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 336 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 472 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 4 views
Recent Topics