5 monthers: how are you doing?

Sasrah1972
on 10/19/11 12:58 pm - NY
 Hello to you all! How's everyone doing?
I'd love to hear about your progress, issues, etc.

My surgery was 5/17, and I'm down 75lbs today (surgery weight 315, I'm now 238.5). That's all good but I am struggling with grazing and a complete inability to motivate to use my expensive gym membership. Keeping up with my meds, doing well with protein, less well with liquids (not getting in enough oz) and the resulting constipation.

On another note I discovered I do not dump from sugar but I do dump from greae....which is not great because I do have a sweet tooth...

Hope everyone is finding lots of success and feeling good!
Sasrah
RNY 5.17.11

BrandNewJackie
on 10/19/11 1:24 pm
 Hi.

You are doing great!! Keep up the good work.

I had surgery 5/23 and I'm down 63 as of today.  I feel as if I am a slow loser but I have learned not to compare myself to everyone else.  I have been stuck teetering between 3 lbs for the last 4 weeks. Feels like forever but I know it will end soon.  

I haven't quite found out what I dump on because some days it is as if something makes me feel ill when it didnt previously.  I must admit my cravings for sweets have gone away which I am happy about.

I am trying to stay motivated with the gym but getting up at 5 am hasn't formed into a habit yet. I'm still waiting for that to happen.

I have made a commitment to come on here more because the support is amazing.

fran_pa
on 10/19/11 1:31 pm - PA
May 6th here and down 70.  I've also felt like I'm a slow loser, and yes I know we're not supposed to compare.  Maybe we're just the norm?  Even though I've felt it's been slow, it has been very consistent.  I haven't found anything that has made me dump, but, on the other hand, I haven't purposely tried to experiment with things that could make me dump. 
Rebecca H.
on 10/19/11 2:09 pm
Hello! My surgery was 5/6 and I'm down 59 lbs. I'm in a stall, it seems like, all the time but I'm still losing. I have 50 lbs to go. I don't dump with sweets but I do with fatty foods. I still have the ability to leave sweets alone but I know I can have a little if I wanted it. With the exercise, I go in spurts. I'll exercise for a month or so and then I won't exercise for a few weeks. It's time for me to exercise again. Right after surgery, i was trying to get my protein and water in. Then I went to experimenting to see what I could and couldn't eat. Then I went to how much can I eat... just a couple more bites. Then I decided...I need this tool. Now I'm kind of settling back down to eating what I'm suppose to eat and not eating the extra bites and feeling too full. I'm still feeling that I've made the best decision EVER and feeling GREAT. It's still going to get better.

msanson
on 10/19/11 2:33 pm - CA
I had my surgey may 19 and I was 267 I now am in ONEDERLAND as of today!!!! YAY I weigh 199.. Loss of 68 pounds.. I am a slow loser ...i struggle to get in my protein and all of my calories... Iam suppose to eat 600 to 800 maybe I get in 500 I am in a stall I've only lost 4 ponds this month. Are quest bars good for us too eat at this point?
Craig C.
on 10/19/11 10:30 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Had my surgery on may 5th and like all of you I feel like my weight loss is kind of at a stand still. I am very grateful for the 81 lbs I have successfully lost but it seems like I stall more than lose weight. Granted I blame part of this for not exercising enough and occassionally eating things I shouldnt. thankfully I DO Dump so I have to watch the sugar intake.  I just wish the weight loss would be more even. I have been at the same weight for about a month and a half. I get all my protein in and then some and drink plenty of liquids way more then 68 oz. Just a bit frustrated right now. Also scared because the six month point is right around the corner!

Craig

Mrsz
on 10/20/11 2:26 am
Wow, I'm very thankful for this post. I definitely do not feel so alone, now. My surgery was 5/20 and I  am down 59 lbs. I have been in a stall for the past three weeks and finally went down 2 lbs this week. Hopefully, I will keep going down. My surgeon gave me a goal to hit by Nov. and I am still 25 lbs away from that goal, so I'm feeling a little stressed.

I do exercise regularly. I vary my exercise between a number of different cardio DVDs and I received a bike for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. I also do a strength training DVD a couple of days a week or use exercise bands.

I honestly haven't tried to push to find out what makes me dump, but, I have an extremely picky pouch. In fact, I am unable to tolerate any meat product or anything made with meat stock, etc. I can't say I miss it much because I didn't really care for meat, but, I am on a totally vegetarian diet. So, I still use protein shakes to keep my protein levels up (the hardest of all of our goals for me to hit). I have noticed though that I have to keep my fat levels really low. If I eat something that has too much fat, I dump immediately and it is painful.

Msanson - I would ask your NUT about using protein bars. They all seem to have different opinions. But, I have started eating Quest bars and I like them a lot. They do not have the icky fake chocolate coatings and they have fantastic flavors (in my opinion). They are very heavy and dense though, so I usually have to cut them into thirds and use them like a snack.

Thanks so much for opening up this conversation.
Sasrah1972
on 10/20/11 3:40 am - NY
So glad this was a good post for ya'll. In all honesty, it is comforting to hear about everyone's challenges, but even more comforting to know that while each of us is finding challenges, we are doing OK.

I had a moment this morning that I want to share, and I hope you'll share some too. My son has off from school today--he's in first grade. One of the great motivators for me was that at 314lbs I was not able to play wth him the way he wanted me to. Today, I rode a scooter (YAY!!! FUN!!) to the park and played catch with him for an hour and a half. I ran after the ball. I pitched. I caught. 74 lbs ago I could not have imagined being able to do it. Also, the scooter has a weight limit of 250lbs and now that I'm under that, I don't have to worry about breaking it in half!  I did hear/feel my panni slapping against my legs when I was running, but whatever...that I can handle.

I hope you all have those kinds of great NSVs to share...let's hear em!
Sasrah
RNY 5.17.11

MissTootsie
on 10/20/11 4:31 am - MA
Hello 5-Monthers!

I had my surgery on May 10th and am down 82.5 pounds.  It's been hard, but I don't regret one minute of this, it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. 

I am still having a hard time trying not to eat fast, which has been a challenge-still!  Life long habits are not easy to change, but I'm trying!  I know I'm not getting in enough protein or fluids, but I'm still working on that too! 

I've had mostly positive remarks about my weight loss, but some haven't been so positive.  I guess that comes with the territory.  I can't expect everyone to be so positive for me.  I don't understand why they say the things they do, but I've learned to just let it go.  This is for ME and that's all that matters!

The NSVs that I've been enjoying is that my thighs don't rub together when I walk-LOL!  It's funny feeling the butt-bones when I sit too!  And going from a size 24 to a 16 has been a wonderful feeling!

Keep up the good work everyone!!!  Love hearing about all your experiences!!! 
"You must do the things you think you cannot do."  Eleanor Roosevelt   

Sasrah1972
on 10/20/11 4:43 am - NY
Yes, I hear you on the remarks on our weight loss. I didn't tell a lot of people, but I have told some. But some say things that they don't mean to sound insensitive, but are REALLY hurtful. Then there are the other jealous types who say things that are just nasty.

But I'm reminded that I did this for me, and not for them. So forget them!! I'm trying.

Love your NSV, by the way. I hope to get there soon!
Sasrah
RNY 5.17.11

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?