Almond Milk??

Godgaveus2
on 10/21/11 12:16 pm - WI
I am only a week and half out and have been realy missing my protein shakes.  I am still on milk restricitons for 2 more weeks and I tried them with water and can not tolerate them, even with different flavors, syrups, etc.  So last night I had my hubby bring home some unsweetened almond milk.  I have never read the label so I was first surprised that there was only 1 gr of protein per serving, but I thought if I could stomach the protein shake then it would be ok.  The problem I had was when I mixed the almond milk, some ice and my protein shake in my magic bullet, it turned very chunky.  I ended up dumping that and tried to make it with water, again had to dump it as hard as I tried to stomach it.  So just wondering if this is a natual reaction with the almond milk with puttin it in a blender or what the heck I did wrong.  Preop I was addicted to protein shakes and have always used my magic bullet and never had a problem with chunkiness.
poet_kelly
on 10/21/11 12:19 pm - OH
I've never tried almond milk.  You might want to try soy  milk, though.  It has almost as much protein as skim milk.  I've been using it to make hot protein drinks a lot lately.  I fill up a mug about 3/4 full with water and heat that in the microwave.  Then I mix my protein powder with an ounce or two of soy milk in a cup.  I stir it briskly with a for****il it makes a paste.  Then I pour that into the mug of ho****er and stir it some more.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Monique A.
on 10/21/11 2:49 pm
Hey Kelly,
I tried your hot protein drink tonight and it was really good.........think I will replace it with my morning coffee. any other good suggestions for protein?

poet_kelly
on 10/21/11 2:53 pm - OH
I'll tell you my two favorite cold protein shakes.

My very favorite is skim milk, vanilla protein powder and a spoonful of Maxwell House International French vanilla cafe mix (sugar free, decaf).  I put it in the blender with a handful of ice.  The coffee taste and smell is pretty good at covering up any protein taste/smell so I find it works well with almost any brand of protein powder.  It's often what I'll do if I end up with a brand I don't like a whole lot but don't want to waste it.

My second favorite is skim milk, vanilla protein powder and a single serving packet of orange Crystal Light (well, I usually get the Walmart brand, but it's essentially the same thing).  I blend that up with a handful of ice.  It tastes like a creamsicle.

If you wanna find a million great recipes, though, check out Nik's blog at bariatricfoodie.com.  And, as Nik says, prepare to play with your food!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

moving-on
on 10/21/11 1:05 pm - Rimrock, AZ
I use Almond milk on occasion and never had that problem. Love my magic bullet. I own 2, so that I can have one at home and work to make my protein shakes.
I agree that the protein is low which is a bummer, but I try to stay away from the soy products. I am so glad that I can use milk and not have any problems.
Keep trying new things and something will work out for you. It took me along time to find a protein drink I liked. After surgery our taste buds change but after time things you liked before do taste good again.
Good luck.
hlacy
on 10/21/11 1:48 pm - Chandler, AZ
I've never used Almond milk in my protein, but you might want to try Jay Robb protein powder until you can have milk. It's expensive, but it might carry you through with one bag. I mix it with waterand it tastes great. Many people on here say it's the best tasting whey powder out there.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

glzgowlass
on 10/24/11 5:51 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I use Jay Robb and it is the best tasting I think.  I was going to try nectar the last time I needed to buy some and I asked (in the vitamin shoppe) which one sold more.  He said Jay Robb outsold Nectar.  So I'm guessing it must taste better to most people.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 10/21/11 8:25 pm
I have used almond milk with no problems.  But I use soy milk now due to the low protein in almond milk.  There are two possible problems I can think of:

1.  Protein powder and hot liquids do not mix.  Add protein powder to cold liquids and make a paste first.  Then add hot liquid slowly.

2. Mix the protein powder with liquid first before adding the ice.  Maybe the ice and protein powder mixed together made the protein powder too cold (frozen) to mix well.

Winnie

Debra P.
on 10/22/11 3:02 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 Unsweetened almond milk is all I use... never had any problems like that.

lanagirl
on 10/22/11 6:30 am
I am wondering why you are on milk restriction. Is it the lactose? Because you can have Lactaid milk if it is. My dr wanted me to drink lots of milk post op, so I find it funny that yours says none. weird

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics