words from someone 7.5 months out..

Tessie W.
on 10/24/11 1:32 am
I'm not a newbie - but I'm not a vet either.  But I remember all too well this time last year when I was half way through my six month pre-surgery program and wondering if it was all going to be worth it.

During the 6 months I have every emotion there is.  Excitement, fear, disenchantment...  you name it - I felt it.  

When March 8th finally came I lloked back and decided the 6 months went pretty fast, but sure couldn't have told me that during that prep time.  I only lost about 10 pounds in the 6 months.  My surgeon didn't require any loss, just a maintain.  I did drop 18 more in my one week pre-op. 

Anyhow - just want to let you folks know who are in the pre-surgery phase...  hang on, the day will come and in the meantime, read, read, read...  gather all the information you can, get informed.  And remember, different people experience this all in their own way.  Here are some things I have picked up...

1.  No one loses at the same rate - don't compare yourself.
2.  Different docs have different protocols.  Chose a doc you like and in whom you have confidence and follow their orders.  There's a reason you were lead to him or her. 
3.   Protein shakes taste different to all of us.  What one finds wonderful another person will gag on it.  (seriously)  All you can do is try them all! 
4.  This is your journey - you owe it to yourself to discover the path that works for your life and lifestyle. 
5.  And most of all - don't ever forget to celebrate the beautiful person you are - no matter where you are in the process. 

I would do this again in a heartbeat. 

qwrkygrrl
on 10/24/11 1:38 am - NC
Thanks, Tessie. I'm just 10 days out, but it's been rough. I really needed to hear this today, and I look forward to looking back!
Karleigh B.
on 10/24/11 1:46 am - CA
RNY on 11/01/11 with
Thank You for posting this....I start my pre op diet tomorrow... My surgery is Nov. 1st..So this is something i will deffinitly think about in a few days when i am starving! lol My time is comming and I cant wait to start my new life! Thanks!
"If we lose, then it was worth fightin for. If we win, we only live to fight again" 
       Cee-Lo Green

Magnoliagirl
on 10/24/11 1:56 am - Waltham, MA
Thanks for posting. My surgery is in 3 days and it was really helpful.

Trish S.
on 10/24/11 3:46 am - Upstate , NY
Thanks Tessie!  I'm so glad that things are going so great for you!  I'm having my RNY December 5 and I can't wait!  I may call on you for some advice when the time comes.....thanks so much for your very positive outlook.....
--Trish
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404