Help for a friend

araynard29
on 10/25/11 1:00 pm
My friend had RNY 2 years ago and now says she can eat anything,  Once you stretch that out can you do anything to feel full again?
Lisa R.
on 10/25/11 1:30 pm - CA
 It is true that the pouch can stretch but it is a myth that is can ever go back to the size it was pre surgery.

What can happen is RNY patients can consume more because what we put in our pouch moves out very quickly because we have to flap to close it off.  So if you sit and eat long enough you can take in larger portions.  

What she needs to do is portion her food out like in the beginning and eat only that portion.  Do not eat for 2 to 3 hours after each meal.  Stay low carb, protein first, lots of water.  Just back to the basics.

If she does not do this she will gain the weight back and it is VERY hard to take it off again.  The surgery is a tool to help but she needs to do the work, even when its hard.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Zeigled
on 10/25/11 1:45 pm - Parkton, MD
Also, if she can not drink at the same time the food will stay in her stomach and not wash out.
HW 357 SW 341   

poet_kelly
on 10/25/11 3:09 pm - OH
If you're thinking she stretched  her pouch, she probably did not because it's pretty unusual for that to happen. . What does her surgeon say?  If he thinks she may have stretched it, he can order tests to find out.

When your friend says she can eat anything, what does that mean?  A whole  hamburger?  Along with a large order of fries?  Followed by dessert?

And what is she eating?  Because you know, just because you CAN eat something doesn't mean you SHOULD.  Is she drinking with meals?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 10/26/11 12:48 am
She can go back to basics - like we did at first to shrink her pouch back to a managable size. Liquids for a week, pureed foods, soft and in small portions - just like a newbie. I have many friends who are farther out post ops who need to "reset" things and get back on track. Smaller portions, more water and more exercise will help those of us farther out. She will feel full again once she goes through the basics again. Lots of us do it on a regular basis to keep on track.
Jen 10 yrs post op
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 517 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 254 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views