Contempt for Weight Loss

Tim T.
on 10/28/11 8:07 am - Eastham, MA
I have lost near a hundred pounds this year. Recently I've had a couple of casual acquaintances who are in my previous weight category comment to me or to someone about me expressing a displeasure in my weight loss progress. One person, whom I bumped into in the checkout line of the local supermarket, said " You need to stop losing weight, Tim, you're making me look bad." I replied that they did not install an off switch and it was out of my control for the time being. Have any of you peeps out there experienced similar comments? They appeared to be good humored, but I suspect an underlying level of contempt and jealousy. Just sayin'.....

Tim T.

heatherambrosia
on 10/28/11 8:17 am - GA
That was the perfect reply. I'm going to use that myself! I have a friend who also lost a lot of weight before I had surgery and she's since stopped losing. I was always very proud of her and complementary, but now that I'm closing in on her, she told me to stop being a ***** and slow down, cause she'll be damned if I pass her up. :/
SW 343, Current below, Goal 160 & to start a family!11978920
lilbear412
on 10/28/11 8:31 am - MN
 Not yet but i don't have many friends where i live.  Just last night i was at teachers conferences talking to one of my daughters friends mom.  I noticed she looked different so i asked her if she had lost weight..she said yes as a matter of fact, she had lost 70 lbs.  I did't even say anything about my 50 lbs weight loss...it is evidentally not obvious to her that i have lost the weight or its just i am not around these people enough and i am totally more observant than most. ha!!  I have a sister who found out i had WLS and she still won't speak to me.  Not that she spoke to me much before but NOTHING..lol  Most people just think we should be able to lose the weight by "putting our minds to it" and just exercising.  They don't understand how hard it is for some of us..  Sometimes though, its really a good thing not to have friends...lol  
Congrats on your weightloss though....your doing awesome.   

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

nekedavi
on 10/28/11 8:59 am
Hi Tim!  Boy do I know how you feel!!! I've had so many inappropriate statements made to me and about me that it's ridiculous. 

I've had so called "friends" / coworkers to actually send ppl on missions to get info out of me that I wasn't telling them (i didn't tell coworkers I had RNY). 

I've had a person to stand up on a platform and announce, "just bc you lost a lot of weight doesn't mean that you're free."

Ppl have stopped talking to me since I've lost

Ppl have talked very negatively about me within earshot of my children

Some ignore the fact that I've lost weight and am confident (altho I always was confident)

Mgmt has told me if I lose anymore weight I would shrink to nothing

Nobody wants to take pictures with me anymore :(  Before surgery, we ALLLLL loved to take pics

And the list goes on and on...... 

PEOPLE ARE JUST PLAIN NASTY AND JEALOUS.  IT IS HUMAN NATURE.  BUT here's what I learned from many many prayer and tears.....

IT IS THEIR BURDEN "NOT" MINE!!! I LEAVE IT RIGHT WHERE IT IS - WITH THEIR HATEFUL SELF!!!!!!  I would do the same if I were you!

Take great care,

Neke

poet_kelly
on 10/28/11 9:04 am - OH
I have not had anyone say something like that to me.  How I would respond, I guess, would depend on who it was and my mood at the time, but I think I would tell them that my weight loss was about me, not that, and that I was sorry if they felt like they looked bad, but had they considered seeing a therapist to help with their self-esteem issues?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nekedavi
on 10/28/11 9:11 am
LOL Kelly!  You're right on the money:  had they considered seeing a therapist to help with their self-esteem issues?

I'm gonna use that one!
Donna D.
on 10/28/11 10:17 am - Cockeysville, MD
HEY TIM, I have not even had my RNY yet, but everybody knows, because it is my life and I am proud of it, and I don't care who does not like it! I tell people so that maybe I can be a help to them one day! So here it is---- Just today one of my co workers keep making a comment---you are going to look like a crack head! She says everybody that she knows that has had WLS, looks like a crack head at first! Now this particular Co worker is really obese, has multiple health problems ( hyper tension, sleep apnea, heart failure, asthma, diabetes) Yea and she is only 38! She is also the one that I used to eat with laugh with, eat with, laugh with, and eat some more with! Now for the past 6-7 mos that I have been working towards my surgery, She has been hating, and throwing negative remarks, plus I have not been eating with her no more!! So jealousy is always around when you are going in the right direction, it is sort of like drug addicts, when they get clean from drugs they can not hang with that crowd that does drugs no more, and we can not eat the same way like we did before, and our friends if they are our friends will understand!

HW:338  SW:316 CW:203 GW:190 MY HT IS 5"11"

nekedavi
on 10/29/11 2:31 am
So true Donna! I wish OH had a "LIKE" button!  But until then, this will have to work:
Keep up the good work and shake the haters off.  That's what one of the OHer's told me before I began my WLS journey and I had to learn the hard way how and when to do it.  Take care! Neke
labellavita1982
on 10/28/11 10:37 am - Neenah, WI
My mom is always telling me that I am losing weight too fast and that I look too thin.

HW-500lbs SW-381 CW-235 GW-185
Steph
nekedavi
on 10/29/11 2:33 am
Labella: Shake the haterism (negative comments) off and keep on moving towards the new and improved YOU  ---- NOT anybody else but YOU.  The reward is sweet at the end of this long, hard road. 
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 295 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views
Recent Topics